Author Topic: 65 HiPo Dual Exhaust Rubber Brake Hose Rebuild  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Snydly289

65 HiPo Dual Exhaust Rubber Brake Hose Rebuild
« on: February 17, 2019, 01:03:15 AM »
Hi all, upon disassembly of my 65 K code rear axle for restoration, I decided to start with the rear brake hose/distribution block. After removing the grime and gunk with degreaser/Evapo-Rust from the hose/bracket and distribution block I stumbled across a very worn and tattered portion of the hose.

Given the fact that this brake hose is original to my Hipo and has the original markings (If anyone could chime in as to what the M or W stand for that would be awesome. I assume it's a manufacturer Ford used?) I really would like to be able to re-use it on my Kar. Is there anybody that one would recommend replacing the brake hose? I really don't want to go to a local brake or fitting shop and have them hack at it and possibly damage the bracket, brass etc.

And if it at all possible to replace the hose with the same turquoise line, that would be killer!

BTW, what is the correct part number for this part: C5ZZ-2282-D or C5ZZ-2282-E?
65 K Code Fastback -5F09K325XXX, Oct. '64, Vintage Burg, Rally Pac, Arvinode Exh, lots '64 items
66 A Code GT Coupe -4 speed, bench Seat, P/S, A/C, Rally Pac, handling package, 8 track
66 A Code Fastback -Built 302, 66 S2MS Intake, WC T-5, 4-wheel Wilwoods, locking 9"
66 T Coupe
65 T Code Fastback

Offline 1966KGT

Re: 65 HiPo Dual Exhaust Rubber Brake Hose Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 08:05:32 AM »
snydly, I used a guy for non k code gt rear hose in Georgia once, E.L. Johnston Co. did a great job, not sure if they can match hose but they used my fittings.
1966 K GT, BUILT 11/08/65 4 SPEED, SAN JOSE CAR, 1969 Mustang convertible, 1970 MACH 1, 1963 GALAXIE Q code Fastback, 1966 mustang t code coupe, fuel injected

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 02:23:37 PM »
How can the fittings be re-used if they are crimped?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 02:36:03 PM »
Given the fact that this brake hose is original to my Hipo and has the original markings (If anyone could chime in as to what the M or W stand for that would be awesome. I assume it's a manufacturer Ford used?)

Yes its the makers mark. Don't know the specific outside vendor this one or many others go to. That's a big subject what would take allot of time to research and figure out.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 03:02:18 PM »
snydly, I used a guy for non k code gt rear hose in Georgia once, E.L. Johnston Co. did a great job, not sure if they can match hose but they used my fittings.
How can the fittings be re-used if they are crimped?

Good question, I thought the same (safety). Perhaps they cut off the old crimping and supply a new collar of sorts. It would be interesting to see an example of what was done.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 1966KGT

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 10:23:03 PM »
It has been years but I recall the original base fitting was used and new crimp fittings were silver soldered in and new hose crimped,  had metric fitting fitted to original fitting on rear end to adapt to the 2001 crown vic rear calipers. may need to be in a different discussion.
1966 K GT, BUILT 11/08/65 4 SPEED, SAN JOSE CAR, 1969 Mustang convertible, 1970 MACH 1, 1963 GALAXIE Q code Fastback, 1966 mustang t code coupe, fuel injected

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 02:32:30 AM »
I believe the DOT has required a double crimping instead of the single crimp which was on the originals until 1970 when the DOT mandate began. The crimping issue is a liability problem which has kept many manufacturers from reproducing a exact looking hose.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby