Author Topic: Re-arching Leaf Springs  (Read 383 times)

Offline warwick

Re-arching Leaf Springs
« on: March 24, 2024, 06:55:32 PM »
I am considering re-arching my rear leaf springs. After checking Assy Manual I figure I'm down 1 to 2 inches. I spoke to the spring shop I have utilized a number of times over the years. They are well-known large spring shop that handles cars to semi-trucks. They said they wouldn't do it because it wouldn't last.

What experience have others had? Is re-arching a good solution or will you loose the height in a short time? Does it settle but still meet a minimum lift?

I am reluctant to rebuild the spring and add a new leaf-I can't remember if they replace the long leaf or add a leaf.

I figure worst come to worst I could try air shocks or air bags (Dealer Option).

I am dealing with a very original car and trying to maintain originality.

Thank you

Offline RoyceP

Re: Re-arching Leaf Springs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 06:59:20 PM »
I've done it for many years. Contrary to the guy at the spring shop I find that the re - arched springs last for many years. I think you just need to find another place.

Typically rebuilding the springs, having them sandblasted, and re - arching costs around $200 here.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 10:09:24 PM »
I am considering re-arching my rear leaf springs. After checking Assy Manual I figure I'm down 1 to 2 inches. I spoke to the spring shop I have utilized a number of times over the years. They are well-known large spring shop that handles cars to semi-trucks. They said they wouldn't do it because it wouldn't last.

What experience have others had? Is re-arching a good solution or will you loose the height in a short time? Does it settle but still meet a minimum lift?

I am reluctant to rebuild the spring and add a new leaf-I can't remember if they replace the long leaf or add a leaf.

I figure worst come to worst I could try air shocks or air bags (Dealer Option).

I am dealing with a very original car and trying to maintain originality.

Thank you
Get a set of leafs from Virginia Classic Mustang .They look identical to Ford and you switch out the bottom plate for your original which has the Ford engineering number and date code and no one will be the wiser. That way you have the best of both worlds. This is a typical solution that many enthusiasts and concours restoration shops use to solve the problem . I have done this for decades for all of my concours Shelby's (except 69/70 Shelby because those leafs are different then a regular Mustang).  https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-73-Rear-Leaf-Spring-Assemblies-Pair-P5261.aspx    At 209.95 and look just like original it is hard to beat plus you get a new pressed in front bushing. They have sold thousands over the years plus Brant is a forum member.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 12:12:09 AM »
Re-arched springs will lose their strength over time and it will take a few years in a car not driven much. So, spring replacement is the best long-term solution and Bob's way of retaining part numbers is even better.

The downside with springs is they can be a lottery regarding heights and they'll never sit where you want them to be. So be prepared for some initial messing around until you get them to where you want to be. Even if you re-arched the springs, chances are is that they'll be strong and make the rear sit very high and then require re-adjusting as well - which makes them the same amount of effort as putting in new ones.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 12:40:00 PM »
I re - arched the rear leaf springs on my car in 2018 when I did the restoration. The springs were rebuilt at the same time. Currently I have several thousand miles and the springs remain the same as they were in 2017. How long till they are sacked out? I think you are not aware of how many cars I have restored.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock