Author Topic: 68 Dearborn Inner Fender Splash Shield Question  (Read 236 times)

Offline lightwtjet

68 Dearborn Inner Fender Splash Shield Question
« on: March 03, 2024, 06:38:42 PM »
I have installed my Dearborn splash shields but have been advised by Jeff that the rear shields should have the rubber pieces positioned facing the wheel (on the front side of the steel shield). I appreciate the advice and will correct them as soon as the weather warms up.

For your information Jeff posted info on the 67/68 Dearborn cars in a 2015 post-
Took some time and went through my pictures - focused just on 67 rear splash shields. Didn't want to confuse things with looking at forward splash shields and the running changes associated with those and the half on the front and half of the shield on the back thing.
So looking at just the rear splash shields I found the following (sorry none had clear date and plant stampings)

- All 67 Dearborn examples showed that they were attached to the front of the rear splash shield with staples
Vins covered pretty much the whole production period 1107xxx, 1285xx, 1644xx, 1736xx, 1801xx, 1875xx, 196xxx, 2071xx, 2216xx, 2137,xx

- All 67 NJ examples showed that they were attached to the front of the rear splash shield with staples
Vins covered pretty much the whole production period 131xxx, 155xxx, 158xxx, 1652xx, 170xxx, 202xxx, 241xxx
=============
As for the front shields , can someone add the correct positioning.
If someone has a picture of the caulk that surrounds the rubber pls post it.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 10:54:11 PM by lightwtjet »
1968 CJ - Owner and paint original. Dec 67 build in Dearborn. One of 50 135 Cobra Jets. Ford engineering used it for 8 mos. to resolve problems in the 50 early car build. Ford by-passed the normal sign off to get cars to the Winternationals drag race.

Offline bullitt68

68 Dearborn Inner Fender Splash Shield Question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 06:49:11 PM »
They fit snugly - I will have to add the caulk around them. Does anyone have a picture of the placement of the caulk?   Thanks

Thanks Roger those are great reference photos. I a going to remove the shields and re install using your photos as a guide.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 06:50:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 Dearborn Inner Fender Splash Shields
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 06:50:10 PM »
They fit snugly - I will have to add the caulk around them. Does anyone have a picture of the placement of the caulk?   Thanks

Since this thread focuses on San Jose cars I'm going to separate your post from the others and start a new thread for you
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 Dearborn Inner Fender Splash Shield Question
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 06:58:34 PM »
Thanks Roger those are great reference photos. I a going to remove the shields and re install using your photos as a guide.

Take note that the pictures above are from a Dearborn built car and what they show differs from what I'm finding on San Jose cars.

Pictures to follow in the San Jose focused thread  :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline warwick

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 07:16:59 PM »
Jeff,

I saw your old post about differences between various year Dearborn/Metuchen/SJ splash shields.  My car - 29K orig mile Cougar has all front and rear splash shield rubbers to wheel.  In addition the lower fender bracket is positioned as I said in my previous post-the bracket embossing does not interfere with fit.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 07:25:58 PM »
Jeff,

I saw your old post about differences between various year Dearborn/Metuchen/SJ splash shields.  My car - 29K orig mile Cougar has all front and rear splash shield rubbers to wheel.  In addition the lower fender bracket is positioned as I said in my previous post-the bracket embossing does not interfere with fit.

Might want to remind others that didn't see the other thread and your previous post as to how you found that lower bracket positioned on your 68 Cougar. Since you posted in this tread I'm guessing that it is a Dearborn built Cougar not a San Jose one  :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline warwick

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 01:28:54 PM »
May 68 Dearborn built Cougar

Offline lightwtjet

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 06:10:30 PM »
 In looking at the mud stuck on the shields we can see why the industry went to the thin plastic fender liner.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 11:00:54 PM by lightwtjet »
1968 CJ - Owner and paint original. Dec 67 build in Dearborn. One of 50 135 Cobra Jets. Ford engineering used it for 8 mos. to resolve problems in the 50 early car build. Ford by-passed the normal sign off to get cars to the Winternationals drag race.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 08:09:14 PM »
For a Dearborn car - Warwick stated the rubber shields should be facing the tire. I did a search and in Nov of 2015 Jeff Speegle gave data that supports that. So my rear ones are wrong. I will remove my post soon.
  I was curious about when they are installed (before the fender is on?). I found my shields  to be really hard to push into place because of the rubber stiffness.  I would think that would make it more difficult for the worker to install the fender.
We can see why the industry went to the thin plastic liners that dirt would not stick to.

Great question Roger. I was also going to ask at what point during assembly the dust shields were installed, before or after the fenders are installed.
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968