Author Topic: 1967 Mustang two tone option - Ditzler 32600 - Dark Grey Poly  (Read 6475 times)

Offline phil1347

I've been doing a lot of research on the rear grey treatment for my car.  I saw a few people looking for the exact shade of Dark Grey Poly. 

I found the exact dark grey poly color on carpaintonline.com.  The link is here:
https://www.carpaintonline.com/products.php?PPGCode=32600&PNId=4191&SPCId=134

I have a dusk rose mustang that had the two tone S5 code option, which included a grey rear paint treatment based on the Marti report.  The whole panel was painted the dusk rose color by the previous owner and I'm trying to restore it back to original.  I'm trying to find a definite answer as to how much of the back panel is the dark grey poly.  I know it goes up to the top lip of the panel but how far across that lip does it go?  Also, is the back of the panel painted pink or grey.  I've been all over the internet and discovered only 13 of the 67's had this option.  Mine is one of those 13.  It's nearly impossible to find out any information about it because it's so rare.  Any help would be appreciated!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 Mustang two tone option - Ditzler 32600 - Dark Grey Poly
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:06:34 PM »
First welcome to the site.

I've been doing a lot of research on the rear grey treatment for my car.  I saw a few people looking for the exact shade of Dark Grey Poly. 

I found the exact dark grey poly color on carpaintonline.com.  ......

As asked in another post - have you purchased, shot this product and compared it to original paint? Since you report its an "exact" shade - I'm guessing that you have, would love to see a picture of the two surfaces.

I have a dusk rose mustang that had the two tone S5 code option, which included a grey rear paint treatment based on the Marti report. ..... I'm trying to find a definite answer as to how much of the back panel is the dark grey poly.  I know it goes up to the top lip of the panel but how far across that lip does it go?  Also, is the back of the panel painted pink or grey.  I've been all over the internet and discovered only 13 of the 67's had this option. ......

A search of the internet turned up 13 cars or did your Marti report?  Seems kind of low (even though it was a very unpopular option) given the number I've got in my records.

Guessing your car also had the exterior decor package.

Where was it built since the paint details may differ from plant to plant like they did on the 70 Boss 302's for example?

I suppose that you already did a search of the site and saw the picture posted in 2009 of the taillight panel paint details ;) Search is your friend

Of course it doesn't show the paint details of the end caps and trunk lid but we can cover that as the discussion progresses
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:15:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:39:32 PM »
Did a little extra look into the number 13 that you found somewhere. Maybe, from that source, its 13 cars that they know of or reported.

Looking just through the Mustang Production guide I found eleven  67s with the double digit exterior paint code just in that one source. Considering that that publication covers maybe 2% of all the cars built (a completely volunteer effort for those that submitted VINs to the project) I think we can all agree that there is likely allot more than that. Sure Kevin Marti could provide an exact number built. The fact that your car is a Dusk Rose car in itself is not an often seen color - paired with the other option would think that they was likely only a hand full of those ordered

Did go through my pictures and came up with another six cars there

Most of the cars, from my experience with then, lost this detail during repaints
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:48:47 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:48:58 PM »
UPDATE
Did find a couple of Marti reports where Kevin broke out the tu-tone (he used Gray Rear Paint Treatment on the form) Number looks to be 11?7  One digit is hard to make out but at least you have something solid to work from

At the bottom of the book/call out, it states "For the 67 Mustang Hardtop" so the total 67 Mustangs all body types may be allot higher for this option

Would post a screen shot/scan but we want to respect the copyrights
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:17:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 12:56:50 AM »
I think John 67gta289 has one of these cars also. Very rare.

Offline Tracy

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 09:05:03 AM »
Hello Mr. Speegle,

This is Tracy Sullivan, Phil's wife.  First let me apologize for posting on the wrong forum (under Phil's name...my account was being created).  This is my first go around with researching a car so I was a bit lost.  I really appreciate all your work looking things up. 

I was on so many sites it's hard to say at this point where I saw only 13 but it made sense because I couldn't find much on the option.  I'll be careful to fact check better before blurting things out!   :-X

I really appreciate your responses.  Thank you.  The factory code is R - built in San Jose.  I'll try to link a picture here of my Marti report.  I did not purchase the paint but when I put in the ditzler 26000 code it pulled up the name 5 - Mustang 1967 Dark Grey Poly. I got excited and wanted to share.  Again, I'll be more careful in the future!  As far as the exterior decor package Marti stated that "This Mustang due to a production error, received the grey rear paint treatment".  I do not see an exterior decor package listed.  I did do a search and saw the picture you were talking about.  It just left me more confused.  I do use search liberally!  ;D

Now..before I slap two pictures of my Marti report up...I want to be sure that it's ok to do so.  Please let me know! 

Warm regards,
Tracy

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 04:46:59 PM »
UPDATE
Did find a couple of Marti reports where Kevin broke out the tu-tone (he used Gray Rear Paint Treatment on the form) Number looks to be 11?7  One digit is hard to make out but at least you have something solid to work from

At the bottom of the book/call out, it states "For the 67 Mustang Hardtop" so the total 67 Mustangs all body types may be allot higher for this option

I've got a copy of a Marti report for a '67 Silver Frost Fastback with the gray rear paint treatment.  In the statistics section of the report it mentions that this car was one of 1,349 '67 Mustang Fastbacks with that option...
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 06:09:33 PM »
I've got a copy of a Marti report for a '67 Silver Frost Fastback with the gray rear paint treatment.  In the statistics section of the report it mentions that this car was one of 1,349 '67 Mustang Fastbacks with that option...

So with the coupes and convertibles we might be looking at maybe 3,500 cars (all body types). Not as rare as one might think considering how few we see today. Of course allot of them never got repainted with the detail and its possible that many owners don't even realize that.

Thanks for the additional info
Jeff Speegle

Offline Tracy

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 07:19:23 PM »
Jeff, did you get my response above? 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 07:39:53 PM »
Jeff, did you get my response above?

No missed it  :-[ somehow

Since you paid for the Marti report I believe its fine to scan and post it here.  If Kevin feels its an issue for individual to do so I'm sure he will let me/us know. Just wanted to be sensitive/careful (as an owner of the site) to posting someone else's info ;)

Understand the difficulty at researching details and how much "information" is out there floating around the web. This is just one of the reasons this place was created - glad you found us and we hope you find it useful and rewarding. 

Glad we were able to provide a better documented set of numbers for your car.  Guess we'll see what the little box in the lower right says on your Marti report when you post it.

Again welcome

Jeff Speegle

Offline Tracy

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 08:05:10 PM »
here it is:

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 08:17:28 PM »
here it is:

Since Kevin has many options when he put together the statics box I guess he didn't choose to include that option in the calculations

Glad I had a couple of the other one to give us that total (or as best as I could read it) of just over 1,000 coupes
Jeff Speegle

Offline Tracy

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 08:25:05 PM »
haha.  Yeah I guess.  Although I'm much less interested in how many there were than how to paint my car properly.  I just assumed the lack of pictures out there was because there were not a lot made.  Regardless, the whole point of my post was to try to get help with painting my rear panel back to the two tone option correctly and to find out exactly where the dark grey poly goes and where the dusk rose color goes.  Any help with that would be appreciated. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 05:27:35 AM »
Interesting that according to the report that your car received the tu-tone option "gray rear paint treatment" due to a production error.

Sounds like it wasn't originally ordered with it but was painted by mistake.

That is a statement I've never noticed on another Marti report before  :o

.......... the whole point of my post was to try to get help with painting my rear panel back to the two tone option correctly and to find out exactly where the dark grey poly goes and where the dusk rose color goes.  Any help with that would be appreciated.

Did you find the earlier thread and the picture of the original paint coupe with the painted taillight panel? At least that will show you how the trunk opening was tapered

Don't have that car around any longer and it was so long ago we never checked if the paint for the taillight panel went on first, like the interior paint, or later like the black taillight panels on a 69 Boss or the hood on a Mach I. I would guess that your car was painted just like any other Mustang and the taillight panel paint added later.

Oh and your end caps (quarter extensions) would have typically received the same paint inside the rear trim also
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:34:49 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline sunndwn

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 01:23:43 AM »
My dad ordered this one new when he worked for Ford.  He sold it in '72, we bought it back from the same guy in 2001.  Finished it a couple years ago.  He bought ET Mags to match the backend.  I wish the trunk was closed for the pic! Lol
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:29:03 AM by sunndwn »