Author Topic: 72 Questions from MCCN Show 2018-Body & Motorcraft verses Autolite  (Read 1303 times)

Offline nham3407

NOTE: This thread originated in another thread and split from it to allow placement here in this section

If you have some time for a long video, but a good over view of the show take a look at this one.  If you can make it to the end I get my 5 seconds of fame with the 72 Mach 1.

Ended up taking silver in Concourse judging.  I do have some questions with some points brought forward by the judges. 
1 - It was pointed out that the acorn nuts on the front hood trim piece should be body color.  Stated hood was painted with this part on. I am of the opinion this part was not painted already installed on the hood as it would lead to cracking in the seam between the hood and the trim panel.
2 - Pointed out that studs for hood scoops should be body color as well as they were also installed on the hood before painting. I again have a hard time believing this is the case as it would lead to more cracking issues around the scoop.
3 - All branded Autolite or Motorcraft components under the hood should be the same.  It is my understanding the conversion to Motorcraft was not finalized until March/April 1972.  My build date of early January 1972 Dearborn would proceed that date and allow for some variance in branded components vs  all being the same.

I would appreciate others views on these points.

I do not have my judging sheet to reflect back on some of the other comments as I left the award and paperwork at my folks house in WI when we headed back home. I will have it back around Christmas.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 05:39:30 PM by J_Speegle »
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 72 Questions from MCCN Show 2018-Body & Motorcraft verses Autolite
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 05:39:51 PM »
If you have some time for a long video, but a good over view of the show take a look at this one.  If you can make it to the end I get my 5 seconds of fame with the 72 Mach 1.

Ended up taking silver in Concourse judging.  I do have some questions with some points brought forward by the judges. 
1 - It was pointed out that the acorn nuts on the front hood trim piece should be body color.  Stated hood was painted with this part on. I am of the opinion this part was not painted already installed on the hood as it would lead to cracking in the seam between the hood and the trim panel.
2 - Pointed out that studs for hood scoops should be body color as well as they were also installed on the hood before painting. I again have a hard time believing this is the case as it would lead to more cracking issues around the scoop.
3 - All branded Autolite or Motorcraft components under the hood should be the same.  It is my understanding the conversion to Motorcraft was not finalized until March/April 1972.  My build date of early January 1972 Dearborn would proceed that date and allow for some variance in branded components vs  all being the same.

Think you might be better served and to keep the thread on point if you start a new thread in the 71-73 section so they might be discussed in more detail and with more attention ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 08:18:28 PM »

I do not have my judging sheet to reflect back on some of the other comments as I left the award and paperwork at my folks house in WI when we headed back home. I will have it back around Christmas.

You  have asked great questions that have been a bit controversial regarding 71-73 Mustangs. Typically 1973 Mustangs had the hood molding nuts and hood scoop hardware painted body color as the judges noted.Typically 1971 were not painted. The painted hardware practice stated in the 1972 model year. My opinion for 1972 is early no paint later painted. I have no dates on this change. I personally accept either for 1972.
  Motorcraft VS Autolite parts was another change over during the 1972 model year.  If you are using genuine Ford parts most would be date coded. It's my experience a January 1972 Mustang would typically have Motorcraft parts. If not, I would look for date code to verify.

Offline nham3407

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 10:10:04 AM »

You  have asked great questions that have been a bit controversial regarding 71-73 Mustangs. Typically 1973 Mustangs had the hood molding nuts and hood scoop hardware painted body color as the judges noted.Typically 1971 were not painted. The painted hardware practice stated in the 1972 model year. My opinion for 1972 is early no paint later painted. I have no dates on this change. I personally accept either for 1972.
  Motorcraft VS Autolite parts was another change over during the 1972 model year.  If you are using genuine Ford parts most would be date coded. It's my experience a January 1972 Mustang would typically have Motorcraft parts. If not, I would look for date code to verify.

Bob, as always thank you for your feedback.  I also appreciated the feedback of the judges at the show.  Glad I could bring these points out in this forum and get some additional feedback.  It is through this process we make the hobby better and inform others (and myself) who do not have all of the details related to 71-73 model years.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)