Author Topic: DP74LF is no longer available? (PPG Red Oxide Epoxy Primer)  (Read 9765 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: DP74LF is no longer available? (PPG Red Oxide Epoxy Primer)
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 04:32:59 PM »
Jeff S.-
With all due respect, I was just trying to offer other restorers an option to spray gun applied DP74LF which seems to be getting difficult to find and increasingly expensive for some reason.

No problem we are just discussing the details and opinions both should help owner/builders choose which is closer to or exactly like the original finishes.

Interesting that your experience with  the finish of Krylon Fusion "Brick Satin" is "very flat."  Your "very flat" description sounds like ruddy brown primer which is more brown and very flat.  The Kryon "Brick Satin" I used has cured out now for about 3 weeks and actually has a slightly higher gloss than I would have expected from a "satin" finish.  The picture I included does illustrate the cured gloss level.  And, my experience with both Krylon and Rustoleum premium spray paints (non epoxy) is that it holds up very well over time as long as the surface is properly prepared (cleaned and bare metal primed).  I have a wrought iron fence ...........[/quote]

We apparently have used the paint on similar surfaces and both live in areas with allot of strong UV light exposure annually. Not really the focus of the subject since as mentioned the undercarriage does not get exposed to UV (DP74LF and other similar paints are not made for exposure) as you mention. Since I've seen the chalking on trailered, indoor stored cars I don't think that is what is leading to the affect

I am curious about what you think is off about the color.  Neither color in the pictures I provided are exactly as it cured out on my car.  I would agree the picture I provided of my undercarriage may appear a bit too red (I think the pic color is altered/enhanced by the camera I used).  The actual color is a little less red than the undercarriage pic I provided and a little more red than the Krylon can pic background. I also understand from your excellent recent article "Restoration Support - 66 San Jose Unibody (Undercarriage)" that the color could vary in 1966 from "...reddish brown to muddy red".  My newly painted undercarriage is a close match to your pictures on right at bottom of page 5 and similar to middle bottom picture on page 6 and left bottom picture on page 11 in your recent article.

As I'm sure you can agree the colors you see and display on your monitor are likely different than what I may be seeing on mine. Over the next few days I will endeavour to spray out the product you mention and show them in a picture (not to show real color just contrast) to some samples of originals I have in my floor pan sample bag. Have a good weekend.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TonyFio

Re: DP74LF is no longer available? (PPG Red Oxide Epoxy Primer)
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 08:31:35 PM »
I know this is off the subject of paint that doesn't require a spray gun, but I used Southern Polyurethane's Red Oxide epoxy primer. I also bought a small amount of their black primer and mixed a ratio of 8-1 to get a really good match to my original color. Of course the color for others may be different.
Also, Barry who I think is the owner is very helpful. I've texted him with questions and he always gets back in a short time, even on weekends!
Tony Fiorenza
65 Lux Coupe, SJ built, 5/65, owned since 1974