Author Topic: Original 67 & 68 10 spokes (aka ten spokes)  (Read 5100 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Original 67 & 68 10 spokes (aka ten spokes)
« on: January 10, 2020, 08:04:55 PM »
From a Concours point of view what would we expect to see on a 67 or 68 ten spoke? I ask this after viewing dozens of ten spoke threads here and on the SAACForum.
I decided to post this question here rather than in the SAACForum as I'm trying to stay with Concours/Assembly line on just two years and keep away from Ford replacement parts and aftermarket in later years. 

From Coralsnake's website and various threads here and SAACForum it would indicate the 67 version as:
-Tapered spoke
-Valve Stem on rim (non-recessed/non-counterbored)
-Tapered/Countersunk acorn style lug face
-Backside of wheel face is not raised
-Backside of wheel is as cast (not machined)
-Cast part number of S7MS-1007-D

68 is tougher as there are only 5 cars documented as having ten spokes and all were exported. The wheels (67?) were fit using undocumented process but probably involved grinding down the caliper rough casting areas. Not the topic here.

There are a set of wheels listed as a follow on to the 67 wheels (sometimes listed as 68 wheels). Let's call those 68 wheels and those would be defined as:
-Tapered spoke
-Valve Stem on rim (non-recessed/non-counterbored)
-Tapered or Countersunk acorn style lug face
-Backside of wheel face is raised 1/8" (approx)
-Backside of wheel bowl area is as cast (not machined)
-Cast part number may or may not be found

The 68 wheel had about 1/8" less backspace in order to clear the caliper with some amount of success.

My point is that there many Ford service, CS Wheel and possibly other aftermarket companies that made wheels.

But, from an Concour point of view, I would not expect to see any of the following:
-No straight spokes
-No countersunk valve stems
-No valve stems between spokes
-No spot faced lug nuts (with washers)
-No machined area on the backside bowl area of the rim

The "machined area" is defined as that area on the backside of the wheel shaped like a bowl and does not include the web or bolt-up area

This post will be updated as req.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:01:42 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Original 67 & 68 10 spokes (aka ten spokes)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 11:06:52 PM »
From a Concours point of view what would we expect to see on a 67 or 68 ten spoke? I ask this after viewing dozens of ten spoke threads here and on the SAACForum.
I decided to post this question here rather than in the SAACForum as I'm trying to stay with Conocurs/Assembly line on just two years and keep away from Ford replacement parts and aftermarket in later years. 

From Coralsnake's website and various threads here and SAACForum it would indicate the 67 version as:
Tapered spoke
Valve Stem on rim (non-recessed/non-counterbored)
Tapered/Countersunk acorn style lug face
Backside of wheel face is not raised
Backside of wheel is as cast (not machined)
Cast part number of S7MS-1007-D

68 is tougher as there are only 5 cars documented as having ten spokes and all were exported. The wheels (67?) were fit using undocumented process but probably involved grinding down the caliper rough casting areas. Not the topic here.

There are a set of wheels listed as a follow on to the 67 wheels (sometimes listed as 68 wheels). Let's call those 68 wheels and those would be defined as:
Tapered spoke
Valve Stem on rim (non-recessed/non-counterbored)
Tapered or Countersunk acorn style lug face
Backside of wheel face is raised 1/8" (approx)
Backside of wheel is as cast (not machined)
Cast part number not found

The 68 wheel had about 1/8" less backspace in order to clear the caliper with some amount of success.

My point is that there many Ford service, CS Wheel and possibly other aftermarket companies that made wheels.

But, from an Concour point of view, I would notexpect to see any of the following:
-No straight spokes
-No countersunk valve stems
-No valve stems between spokes
-No spot faced lug nuts (with washers)

This post will be updated as req.
  A tenspoke available during the 1968 production year would also have a rough cast back side to the wheel. A 67 tenspoke (what they are) even with the raised pad will typically not fit without contact on a 68 disc brake car with the new for 68 single piston caliper. When the wheel MFG started to machine the back side of the wheel is what identifies a wheel along with the other typical identifying details that will fit on a 68 disc brake car without additional grinding or the typical 1/4 spacer separate disc needed to provide clearance so that the wheel will fit without contact. Unfortunately this modification apparently did not happen until the 68 Shelby was out of production. Not sure what Ford did to get the 5 cars that are documented to have gotten the 67 tenspokes out the door (most likely grinding on the caliper) but it seemed like that they were embarrassed or concerned enough to ship them out of the country.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:09:30 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: Original 67 & 68 10 spokes (aka ten spokes)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 10:12:48 PM »
Thanks, Bob.

I updated the initial post slightly to make it a bit easier to read and included the green text to help reinforce the backside finish.

This exercise was started as I was going through the 67-68 Shelby concours judging test. Learned a lot from verifying some of my answers.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion