Author Topic: '67 GT-350 Air Injection Smog info wanted  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Mike_Senar

'67 GT-350 Air Injection Smog info wanted
« on: June 11, 2020, 01:00:41 PM »
Hello,
  Where can I find some info on component identification and parts pictures?   reyapnon@yahoo.   Com
                                                                     Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: '67 GT-350 Air Injection Smog info wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 02:53:40 PM »
Hello,
  Where can I find some info on component identification and parts pictures?   reyapnon@yahoo.   Com
                                                                     Mike
https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/MUSTANG-AND-FORD-SMALL-BLOCK-V8-BOOK-1962-1969-VOLUMES-1-AND-2-P442062.aspx     The main difference between the typical smallblock and the hipo version used in the GT350 is the special hipo filter can.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 04:33:53 PM »
Anything in particular or just everything? :)

Shelby systems (only installed for a few months) is different from what was installed on Mustangs that year.  Some of the parts used are more like the 66 system.

Not sure if the book explains that since it focuses mostly on Ford products rather than Shelby's

At this time don't recall anyone that has compiled a complete list - I got about half way through so far - for the 67 GT350. Lot more interest on the GT500 systems since they were installed on more cars for a longer period
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 06:04:11 PM »
Anything in particular or just everything? :)

Shelby systems (only installed for a few months) is different from what was installed on Mustangs that year.  Some of the parts used are more like the 66 system.

Not sure if the book explains that since it focuses mostly on Ford products rather than Shelby's

At this time don't recall anyone that has compiled a complete list - I got about half way through so far - for the 67 GT350. Lot more interest on the GT500 systems since they were installed on more cars for a longer period
The Book is the best think in print that I am aware of. The second best illustration is in the engine equipment assemblyline manual.pg 119.I am not sure which part of the base 67 GT350 smog system is not going to be substantially different different then a base 67 Mustang 289 hipo system given there are no Shelby unique parts used on the GT350 system.Hoses and mounting go to the same points on the cast iron 289 hipo intake as they do on the same corresponding points on the Cobra aluminum intake. Same parts as the hipo with the exception of intake. Help me remember which part/parts you are thinking that I am forgetting about.    It was pointed out to me (and rightly so) that I wasn't as specific in my first post as I needed to be giving information to the OP who is not familiar so I went back and amended my first post and this post . 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:56:56 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Mike_Senar

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 12:16:59 PM »
Thank you all...
  I take it a standard 1967 Ford 289 (Mustang) air injection system is the same pulleys and brackets and hoses and pump with brackets as the "Shelby" version...?   
  On the (special) filter canister part, where does the top hose fit into the system?   The one just below the wing nut.   Anyone here have some pictures of an installed system?
                                                                                       Mike

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 01:42:02 PM »
And, of course, the unique to Shelby and HiPos are the  Smog C7 exhaust manifolds.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:00:40 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 03:11:47 PM »
Thank you all...
  I take it a standard 1967 Ford 289 (Mustang) air injection system is the same pulleys and brackets and hoses and pump with brackets as the "Shelby" version...?   
  On the (special) filter canister part, where does the top hose fit into the system?   The one just below the wing nut.   Anyone here have some pictures of an installed system?
                                                                                       Mike

See you got a bunch of pictures posted over on the SAAC site of one restored example

The filter for the pump is not special but a 240 6 cylinder filter for large Fords. Still not an easy piece to find. Sometimes they found their way into regular Mustangs and the worker just pinched off the top nipple. Not typical but found a couple that way. Would need to check but the pump pulley may be different from a non K code application but as mentioned its a combination of 66 and 67 parts with a couple of specific different parts.

Some random pictures posted in other threads

Notice that the wing nut was painted along with the full assembly rather than plated/natural. There are two versions of the base housing with and without the side holes. They do defeat the purpose (with the holes) but for some reason they were legal. Most did not have the side holes.

The lid was also made with just a nipple for the hoses and another version with a vent pipe, served the same purpose as the side holes in the operation. Most have been found with the single nipple design

Not sure how the red paint got on the one nipple. Not typical in my experience

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 03:15:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike_Senar

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 05:32:54 PM »
Jeff,
  I was thinking the canister without the snorkel (vent tube) was a GT-500 thing.  No?   Perhaps I have that backwards??? 
                                                                                                   Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 07:09:10 PM »
Since you don't seen to be focusing on a specific car no reason to get in specific production periods providing some answers can be a bit tricky since parts during one week appear to be different than a different period of time. Not allot of cars were ordered and in turn doesn't look like Ford planned on making special parts instead adapted what they could for this handful of cars. Might be why (low production numbers) why this application 67 K codes, didn't get the attention of the California Emission standard until the spring of 67

Jeff,
  I was thinking the canister without the snorkel (vent tube) was a GT-500 thing.  No?   Perhaps I have that backwards??? 

Not to get too far off your focus. You will find the snorkel tops (without the nipple for the connection) often used on 66 non-Shelby 289 applications.
As you can see the plant used some other filter canisters or parts when needed in a pinch - NOT typical. For 1966 the upper left is typical but not the only version  focusing on "snorkel" part of the discussion.

In general the version with the snorkel/tube is not often seen on these applications but have seen one so wanted to leave the possibilities open until and if we find more examples out there. Lot less room for one to clear on a GT500 application. More or less depending on when the car was built and how the canister/air filter was mounted. Whole 'nother thread and discussion. Bottom line for me would be to find the one without the snorkel if you can and go that route. For the discussion we need to discuss and cover the subject ;)

As we are aware many of the systems we see on cars today are not the originals so we need to be wary at what we find on cars after 50 plus years.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 07:54:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 12:41:04 AM »
I have seen a good number of the style with the tail chimney and 90 degree elbow on 289 hipo/GT350 . I have seen the style with just the elbow on 289/GT350 and on 390/GT500. I have not seen the style with the tall chimney and 90 degree elbow on a 390 or GT500.

Offline Mike_Senar

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 01:12:34 AM »
Hello,
  ALL very interesting!!   Thanks for the feedback and any other (for the sake of this discussion) is completely welcome and appreciated!!!
                                                                                                                  Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 02:47:09 AM »
I have seen a good number of the style with the tail chimney and 90 degree elbow on 289 hipo/GT350 ..............

So far from what I've got that version is turning up on the earlier unrestored cars I've got pictures of then going to the plainer version with the side base canister. Just sharing

Of course with this subject "a fair number" and "early/late" is relative considering the very small number produced.  :)

A bit off the subject but wonder what Dearborn would have tossed on a 67 K code built there for delivery in Calif after middle of April 67 ::)
Jeff Speegle