Author Topic: 1967 Comfort Weave  (Read 2431 times)

Offline kkupec02

1967 Comfort Weave
« on: September 06, 2020, 10:40:47 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find original type black comfort weave? Has anyone bought the Branda replica to know how close it is to original? The other possibility is to continue to look for an original black deluxe comfort weave bucket seat cover. My original interior is in great shape except for my torn drivers bucket. It is ripped in 3 places along the seams. Not enough material there to re sew. I am hoping that I can find someone who redid their interior with something like TMI and had a leftover good bucket seat cover. The other option is to buy the TMI seat cover myself and have an upholstery shop sew in my original weave inserts to the TMI black smooth part.
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 Comfort Weave
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 10:57:36 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find original type black comfort weave? Has anyone bought the Branda replica to know how close it is to original? The other possibility is to continue to look for an original black deluxe comfort weave bucket seat cover. My original interior is in great shape except for my torn drivers bucket. It is ripped in 3 places along the seams. Not enough material there to re sew. I am hoping that I can find someone who redid their interior with something like TMI and had a leftover good bucket seat cover. The other option is to buy the TMI seat cover myself and have an upholstery shop sew in my original weave inserts to the TMI black smooth part.
The repro material does not compare favorably to the original .It would very much stand out if you used the repro to make a repair in a original material covered seat . Even if you did a entire seat and back it will stand out as different compared to the other front and rear seat . Find out the least you can get by with to do your repair and I will check to see if I have enough NOS material to sell just a section.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 12:59:54 AM »
Since its the base/bottom section your need to repair you might want to measure the comfort weave lower section used on the rear seat. If there is enough material then you include a lower rear seat in black comfort weave in your search also.

Looks like there is plenty of comfort weave material in that section and staying away from the seat belt slot. Just need to see how long/high the first section before the first row is and compare it to the bucket seat one.

Did  a similar thing years ago before they reproduced deluxe interior in the interior color I needed. Ended up using the lower rear seat section of the same year T Bird that was the same. More recently used a 69 coupe rear seat for a donor center section for my Boss bucket seat.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 01:09:57 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 10:30:58 AM »
Thanks for the help all. Maybe I am jumping the gun and need to take it to an upholstery shop for their opinion Oct/Nov when I put it on blocks to get the calipers rebuilt. Still no front brakes. I have all new lines and rear proportioning valve to install. I took a couple of pictures. The lower seat has two large tears at the seam. The comfort weave and tubing are intact. The smooth vinyl has pulled away. The underlying fabric seems strong enough for a new sew possibly. The outside edge of the top smooth section has pulled from the seam but also has a crack in it. Possibly this section needs to be replaced. Not sure if a TMI donor smooth vinyl piece would match the rest. If the upholstery shop says it can save the weave, but not the smooth sections, maybe a TMI donor top and bottom with TMI smooth pieces?
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 02:12:03 PM »
Thanks for the help all. Maybe I am jumping the gun and need to take it to an upholstery shop for their opinion Oct/Nov when I put it on blocks to get the calipers rebuilt. Still no front brakes. I have all new lines and rear proportioning valve to install. I took a couple of pictures. The lower seat has two large tears at the seam. The comfort weave and tubing are intact. The smooth vinyl has pulled away. The underlying fabric seems strong enough for a new sew possibly. The outside edge of the top smooth section has pulled from the seam but also has a crack in it. Possibly this section needs to be replaced. Not sure if a TMI donor smooth vinyl piece would match the rest. If the upholstery shop says it can save the weave, but not the smooth sections, maybe a TMI donor top and bottom with TMI smooth pieces?
The smooth should be the easiest to find . It is common. Any auto upholstery shop that is competent should be able to source a close material match.I would let them source the smooth before thinking about TMI. Just my opinion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cascade-classics

• Cascade Classics
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 06:24:03 PM »
I got NOS comfort weave from SMS Fabrics in Portland.  They have a couple styles so make sure you get the more open weave like the originals.
John Benoit
Cascade Classics
Classic Mustang and Cougar Restoration
www.cascadeclassics.com

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 09:20:46 PM »
thx all
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline Brian Styles

• 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 07:08:45 PM »
Don't forget to also search for "Knitted Vinyl"

The only document I have with the term "Comfort Weave" is the Ford 1967 Ford Vehicles Price Pocket Guide. This one document calls it "Comfort Weave Vinyl - ventilated (knitted type)"

All other documents from Ford and Shelby refer to it as "Knitted Vinyl."

The Ford 1967 Data Processing Manual refers to it as "Knitted Vinyl Bucket Seat Trim"

The Ford Mustang Options Dealer book referred to it as "Knitted Vinyl" (picture included)

The '67 Shelby American memo on the VIN length change and VIN decoding refers to it as "Knitted Vinyl"

Not trying to argue the correct name -- just trying to help you to cover all the bases in your quest to find the material.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 08:01:03 PM by Brian Styles »

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 09:38:33 PM »
I found some NOS knitted vinyl at SMS at $179 per yard. Also talked to a recommended upholsterer who says he can match the smooth grained black outside material and use my original knitted vinyl insert material  at $400 per seat.
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 07:51:32 AM »
Maybe a long shot, not sure if enough material for your situation, but just saw this on Facebook
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 12:58:43 PM »
Maybe a long shot, not sure if enough material for your situation, but just saw this on Facebook
At the 1200.00 price he is asking you could buy a lot of yardage from sms.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 01:10:42 PM »
I presumed that to be a bogus number.  If not, I agree.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 10:03:39 PM »
I got to keep my passenger seat original and used the comfort weave insert to repair my torn drivers seat. Upholsterer recommended to me did a good job.
1967 Corvette Roadster