Author Topic: Tri-Y headers and H-pipe  (Read 4756 times)

Offline evantugby

Tri-Y headers and H-pipe
« on: September 15, 2020, 07:58:23 PM »
Gents,
I am in the market to buy tri-y headers and an h-pipe for my 66 kar.  I was looking at Scott Fuller Reproductions.  Scott Fuller sells a gt-350 h-pipe reproduction but there is a disclaimer:  "Note:  This H-pipe will fit original Tri-Y headers.  It may not fit aftermarket headers."  So that leaves me with this question:  Does anyone sell an exact reproduction of Tri-y headers? 
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Tri-Y headers and H-pipe
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 09:01:48 PM »
The simple answer is almost. I have been working with Scott for last couple years to make exact copies. To do this is a lot of work but good news is they are in production
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 09:29:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 09:53:51 PM »
The simple answer is almost. I have been working with Scott for last couple years to make exact copies. To do this is a lot of work but good news is they are in production
I supplied a couple pairs of used up original Tri y's for the cause a couple years ago to help get the ball rolling.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 02:00:16 AM »
Jim Cowles at Shelby Parts & Restoration in Green Bay has very nice reproductions that are made using originals as a template.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 01:23:06 PM »
Jim Cowles at Shelby Parts & Restoration in Green Bay has very nice reproductions that are made using originals as a template.
The repro headers made like originals Jim sells are extremely nice.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline evantugby

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 11:57:21 PM »
Gents,
Back to this question:  looks like Jim Cowles is no longer taking new orders on tri-y headers.  With that said, what other brand comes closest? 

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 12:43:34 AM »
Gents,
Back to this question:  looks like Jim Cowles is no longer taking new orders on tri-y headers.  With that said, what other brand comes closest?

Scott Fuller Reproductions is who you want to call

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 01:21:29 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline evantugby

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 02:05:19 PM »
Scott Fuller Reproductions is who you want to call

Jeff,
Thanks for reminding me of Scott Fuller's reproductions.  He does great quality work.  Unfortunately at nearly $2800 for tri-ys, $2700 for dual exhaust, $350 for h-pipe, and the other misc items you need...well it's a price that only GT350 owners MAY want to afford.  Its hard to imagine his production costs are so high that he has to charge these prices.  The great thing Scott does offer is he guarantees fitment.  For that piece of mind, I suppose it may be worth it to some people. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 02:10:42 PM by evantugby »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 02:12:41 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for reminding me of Scott Fuller's reproductions.  He does great quality work.  Unfortunately at nearly $6500 for tri-ys, h-pipe, and the rest of the exhaust set up...well it's a price that only GT350 owners want to afford.   
Maybe you were unaware but did you ever price the ones Jim C sold? They are/were typically "a price that only GT350 owners want to afford " too.

Offline evantugby

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 04:37:57 PM »
Maybe you were unaware but did you ever price the ones Jim C sold? They are/were typically "a price that only GT350 owners want to afford " too.

I did not price the ones Jim Cowles sold.  Since Jim Cowles isn't selling anymore right now and Scott Fuller is to costly, is there another tri-y and h-pipe you recommend?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 05:16:37 PM »
I did not price the ones Jim Cowles sold.  Since Jim Cowles isn't selling anymore right now and Scott Fuller is to costly, is there another tri-y and h-pipe you recommend?

The market supports, at this time, two basic choices the less correct inexpensive versions and the much higher price restoration versions. There does not appear to be currently anything in the middle.

Looking around for seats that are in the Tri Wye configuration I found

- Sets on Amazon in the $90 range as does Ebay

- Scott Drake makes some  starting at approx $175- more depending on metal they are make of and/or finish

- Believe there is another small group of manufacturers making them in the same basic range as above.

- Scott Fuller
Sure VMF has dozens of threads about less correct and less expensive headers. Meant as a helpful way

As with any part that makes up a completed car the owner has to choose between availability, cost and correctness while reflecting on their end goal and make the choice that gets then to that goal. This, being the site it is and with our focus, leaves us with little choice in recommendations IMHO

Of course there is sometimes an owner that after identifying a market and need, decides to fill the void by investing their time and money to fill it. That is how almost all of the businesses got their start. 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline evantugby

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 05:39:21 PM »
Jeff,
Great comment. I forgot where I was asking advice from...a concours website.  Haha.  So it is only natural for you and others to recommend Jim Cowles and Scott Fuller.  Thank you for the perspective. 

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 06:10:40 PM »
have you checked with waldron's antique exhaust? they make the arvinode system.
5F09C331248

Offline Scott Fuller

• Scott Fuller Reproductions
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 10:38:11 AM »
+1 Jeff.  I gave evantugby basically the same advise you posted here.  Lots of cheaper options, just got to go find them. 

Scott
68 "135" Mustang, 68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 12:22:27 PM »
Its hard to imagine his production costs are so high that he has to charge these prices.   
I won’t address the U get what you pay for concept as I think that’s been well covered here already for you. However the statement you made above is not fair and some what condescending in my opinion. Having worked with Scott for over two years on the headers and helping him to fit them I can tell you for sure there are genuinely that much into them to justify the cost. They were shipped to and from the welder to me to fit and test and retest no fewer than four times.
Also just to show how out of touch you are with pricing I will list what I have into a header project I am currently working on. Scott obviously does not need to justify any of his prices but I have no problem doing it with mine. We are working on the competition / drag car headers that were made by Shelby in the mid 60s   I will have nearly $18,000 in producing eight sets.   I have to give one set away to a person who helped me immensely with the research so I have seven sets to sell.  Divide 18,000 by 7 and you’ll come up with what it cost per set to make. Plus that doesn’t include the 50 to 75 hours I have of my own personal time invested.
It’s fine if you don’t wish to buy them but I think it would be wise not to make unsubstantiated claims about cost that you know not
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:04:26 PM by TLea »
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America