Author Topic: 1967 GT500 Fuel pump  (Read 2074 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
1967 GT500 Fuel pump
« on: December 05, 2020, 05:48:04 PM »
Couldn't find an earlier post covering the original 67 GT500 Fuel pump but since I posted some pictures on another site figured I would post them here also for the members and lurkers

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 GT500 Fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 06:02:47 PM »
Jeff, that is the correct style of pump and canister however the assemblyline GT500 pump typical was trademarked CAR bure TER and not Carter. It is hard to tell but the picture pump my have a 3/8 inlet instead of 5/16 like original.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 06:15:34 PM »
Jeff, that is the correct style of pump and canister however the assembly line GT500 pump typical was trademarked CAR bure TER and not Carter. It is hard to tell but the picture pump my have a 3/8 inlet instead of 5/16 like original.

Agreed - hard to see in this picture (low resolution) but given the box it came in (if it is the original to the pump) then one much expect it to be the earlier CARbureTer

Little clear example and a close up

Along with a close up of an original canister

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 06:26:37 PM »
The Autolite marked fuel canisters are the hardest to find of the various fuel canisters from my experience . I think that they were one year only and then strangely Ford went back to FOMOCO as those are the ones I find in later boxes. I recognize the background of my computer and GT40 mouse pad in the picture of the original filter canister.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 07:16:20 PM »
Knew you would recognize it :)

Need to get with a printer to get these done and available (NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT) rather doing them the current way. Know you've seen the results but for others here is some more inspiration as to what can be done with a little thought and craftiness. Not 100% perfect in their current finished form but pretty good if I do say

Couple of shots of testing the art work

A finished canister - it has a flaw so it sits on the shelf because it that

Jeff Speegle

Offline Boss/Cyclone

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 06:40:49 PM »
Agreed - hard to see in this picture (low resolution) but given the box it came in (if it is the original to the pump) then one much expect it to be the earlier CARbureTer

Little clear example and a close up

Along with a close up of an original canister

I'm working on my fuel pump right now.   I noticed in one picture the the "Autolite"  the "A" in autolite is high, closer to the pump and the other picture the "A" in autolite is closer to the ground.   Which is correct?   Also, is the pump itself natural, unpainted?   The one you made has the "A" closer to the ground.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 06:43:57 PM by Boss/Cyclone »
1967 GT500#2100 4speed, inboards  67400F9A02100
1966 Mustang GT fastback, A code, 4 speed, pony interior
1969 Mustang GT convertible H code, acapulco blue

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 06:43:44 PM »
fuel pumps were added after engine assembly therefore all are always unpainted.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 08:15:58 PM »
I'm working on my fuel pump right now.   I noticed in one picture the the "Autolite"  the "A" in autolite is high, closer to the pump and the other picture the "A" in autolite is closer to the ground.   Which is correct?

Both. Not unusual (looking at many different stampings and sticker) for workers to get int he habit of placing the stickers they made or stamps they applied at certain angles or even locations from other workers and inspectors didn't seem to mind as long as they got applied, were visible and most often in the suggested area. Might in some cases, even be related to left or right handed, the worker working the silk screening operation that day or shift

Also, is the pump itself natural, unpainted?   The one you made has the "A" closer to the ground.

Pump has a natural main body and arm with plated sections and fittings

The one I made can be applied to the can in either direction when the design is applied
Jeff Speegle

Offline Boss/Cyclone

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 10:07:41 AM »
Both. Not unusual (looking at many different stampings and sticker) for workers to get int he habit of placing the stickers they made or stamps they applied at certain angles or even locations from other workers and inspectors didn't seem to mind as long as they got applied, were visible and most often in the suggested area. Might in some cases, even be related to left or right handed, the worker working the silk screening operation that day or shift

Pump has a natural main body and arm with plated sections and fittings

The one I made can be applied to the can in either direction when the design is applied

Thank you.

Offline Boss/Cyclone

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2022, 10:12:49 PM »
I pulled my filter to check it today.  No spring below the filter.   My backup pump, newer "carter" not CARbureTER, pump has a spring below the filter pushing it up into pump.    Should there be a spring inside my filter cover holding up the filter?   

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2022, 10:51:44 PM »
I don't recall every finding a spring. Sure Bob G will have his observances
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2022, 10:59:40 PM »
I pulled my filter to check it today.  No spring below the filter.   My backup pump, newer "carter" not CARbureTER, pump has a spring below the filter pushing it up into pump.    Should there be a spring inside my filter cover holding up the filter?
The filter has a rubber seal and is a interference fit to the pump center tube so no spring is needed. There is also positive fuel pressure to the outside of the filter element pressing the rubber seal against the center tube and out of the pump assembly further assuring that there is no need of a spring . If the filter did not tight then there would a need for a spring to hold it in place until the can was pressurized. All of the factory filter elements I have ever seen or heard of fit tight. A spring is not typically used.

Offline Boss/Cyclone

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2022, 11:04:02 PM »
Thanks for your replies.   I was surprised when I opened my other backup pump and the spring popped out.   The one on my engine seems to fit tight when the bowl is screwed on and has no spring which you both have verified as correct.