Author Topic: 66 Export Brace Cowl Attaching Bracket & Finish  (Read 1710 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
66 Export Brace Cowl Attaching Bracket & Finish
« on: January 10, 2021, 06:04:55 PM »
When a 66 Mustang body was built at San Jose with the intent of it becoming a 66 Shelby part of the package was an export brace. A one piece brace that bolted to each shock tower (under the forward upper shock mount) at to the top of the cowl where the firewall and cowl are welded together. At this location a support brace was welded over the cowl metal and then the edges (and often more) were sealed finished with a brush or rag.  In some of the pictures below you can see along the edge of the support the welds along the top and at the ends though the thinner sealer application

The same bracket/support was also installed on most of the 1966 Mustangs that were ordered as as export cars.

The export design and details are covered in one or more other threads but the bracket/support has not so I thought I would post some pictures of some typical examples from the Jan - Mar 1966 period. 

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 66 Export Brace Cowl Attaching Bracket & Finish
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 06:57:24 PM »
I would add that sometimes there is so much sealer used over the bracket that it is hard to distinguish the outline of the cowl export bracket other then a large amount of sealer in the immediate area.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 Export Brace Cowl Attaching Bracket & Finish
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 08:23:25 PM »
Agreed. Just showing what I found typically during the identified production period. The amount of sealer seems to run the gambit. Some messier than others. Most focused on sealing the edges while a few examples are much heavier and wider applied

Pretty early 66 example

Example from just after the Jan-March period

Pretty late built example

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)