Author Topic: Heater Hose Connector Differences  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Kingchief

Heater Hose Connector Differences
« on: March 27, 2021, 12:14:46 PM »
Hello,

In replacing the heater hose connector off my aluminum manifold I noticed a few differences in the one I removed and the repop that is commercially available at the parts stores. Please see pictures. The one I removed has a smaller orifice on the inside and the orientation of the hex shaped connector is different. My question is, is the one I removed with the smaller orifice and different orientation an original part??? Also, it is much heavier and the length is shorter. My car is a GT-350 [6S406]. Just curious if I should replate it or chuck it.

Thanks again,

Steve
SFM 6S406

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Heater Hose Connector Differences
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 06:17:08 PM »
Hello,

In replacing the heater hose connector off my aluminum manifold I noticed a few differences in the one I removed and the repop that is commercially available at the parts stores. Please see pictures. The one I removed has a smaller orifice on the inside and the orientation of the hex shaped connector is different. My question is, is the one I removed with the smaller orifice and different orientation an original part??? Also, it is much heavier and the length is shorter. My car is a GT-350 [6S406]. Just curious if I should replate it or chuck it.

Thanks again,

Steve
There was a style of heater hose fitting that was unrestricted and one that was restricted. It was a early (unrestricted)vs later (restricted) thing. In your case car would have the unrestricted flow version from the factory IMO but either will work. Once installed and hose attached you should not be able to tell one from the other .The restricted flow fitting is mentioned in some of the later TSB's as a retrofit for earlier cars to help keep overpressure from rupturing a heater core. The restricted flow fitting in your picture may be a aftermarket version as the typical restricted flow fittings I have seen were the same outside appearance as the unrestricted flow fitting. When comparing the two you should not be able to tell the difference . See page 3-25 of Bob Mannels book. I would not use that restricted one in the picture because it will not look original.  The repro fitting in your picture will work fine but is not identical to factory fitting . The nipple part of the fitting is not the exact same shape as the factory however once a heater hose is installed it will not be seen and you will not be able to tell the difference.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Kingchief

Re: Heater Hose Connector Differences
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 03:03:47 PM »
Yet AGAIN, thanks Bob. Really appreciate your kind and timely feedback.

All the best,

Steve
SFM 6S406