Author Topic: Batch Gray Undercarriage  (Read 3462 times)

Offline RoyceP

Re: Batch Gray Undercarriage
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2022, 01:30:14 PM »
I cant open the link for ninedrvr I don't know if anyone else is having that issue or not?

Pete

It's a .heic file so only works on Apple devices.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2022, 07:03:19 PM »
I consolidated all of my spray out samples for my version of batch paint.

Interesting color. In my screen appears to be a jade color

As for viewing the picture I can see it on my windows machine but not in my browser (FoxFire) Photo programs I have installed allow me to view it on my computer. Not using a phone or other device
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2022, 12:23:53 AM »
Interesting color. In my screen appears to be a jade color

As for viewing the picture I can see it on my windows machine but not in my browser (FoxFire) Photo programs I have installed allow me to view it on my computer. Not using a phone or other device

He replaced the photo with a .jpg file so now it works on any brand of device.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2022, 09:55:02 AM »
I consolidated all of my spray out samples for my version of batch paint.
Looks like a good representation of the batch paint variations to me IMO. A reminder In case you have forgotten is to don't forget to add the heavy texture sound deadener/sealer to the rear wheel wells.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 10:05:41 AM »
I thought I would clarify so that there is not confusion that the colors seen in reply #5 pictures marked by Month are not meant to imply that is the only shade used that month but examples of variances of colors that maybe predominate or seen in that month . I believe it was Jeff's intention to document when in production they were collected. There was typically not one shade that was used consistently for a month long period of time.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cob428

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2022, 01:40:59 PM »
Are there any pictures of the transition area from the red oxide primer to the batch gray primer towards the transmission tunnel? Trying to determine where the transition started.

Pete
Concourse Wantabe
69 GT 500 Built Dearborn 06/69
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2022, 03:13:04 PM »
Are there any pictures of the transition area from the red oxide primer to the batch gray primer towards the transmission tunnel? Trying to determine where the transition started.

Pete
I believe that you are over thinking this because it has already been said in this thread that red oxide was typically firewall forward and batch paint when used from the firewall back. That is pretty specific direction.

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2022, 03:49:08 PM »

Pete

Here is mine before the underhood black was applied.

1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline cob428

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2022, 04:30:59 PM »
Thank you, I appreciate the pic I was trying to figure out how forward to bring the batch color.
Concourse Wantabe
69 GT 500 Built Dearborn 06/69
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2022, 04:45:11 PM »
Thank you, I appreciate the pic I was trying to figure out how forward to bring the batch color.

The forward "edge" would be a soft edge because of the spray pattern and would start towards the forward edge of the firewall section that is angled upward between the firewall surface and the front floor section. Of course this "edge" would be covered over by the firewall black paint applications (again soft edge) and the front frame rail paint section that would continue on the front frame rails on the outer edges. That application would vary slightly more since it was done by hand

Jets applied the floor color with enough volume that the toque box bottom surface was often 100% batch or red oxide under any exterior (normally allot in this area) and pinch weld black out paint overspray

On the firewall panel the transition from black to batch (on cars shot with that ) is often difficult to make out since both can be dark in color. While in other examples the painter painting the firewall could get lazy and not apply the black far enough downward in the area leaving only a light paint layer and in turn pretty much bare steel in that  area of the firewall

This details is not covered in detail in the undercarriage article in the Library

« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 04:56:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2022, 05:25:55 PM »
More help hopefully

Some examples of the lower firewall to floor color transision

As mentioned the painter for the engine compartment black could choose to be lazy and not put allot of effort in seeing that this surface was well coated. Below is an extermine example IMHO where the jets did a poor initial spray and the worker made little or no effort to cover this area

In other examples the shape of the firewall, the angle and position of the gun as well as making a single pass could produce shadows and in turn bare or thin spots that later rusted. Not unusual to find nice long runs of paint from the engine compartment black application

As mentioned trying to see the engine compartment black ends and the darker batch color begins can be difficult

Picture of a fully covered, with batch, torque box. After looking at allot of these cars it appears that the outer jets were staggered forward from the center jets which appear to start more rearward. Possibly and extra row on those outer corners to produce what I'm finding

More evidence of those forward outer jets as we find floor color further forward from the center point paint start. In this example the batch is forward of where a power steering ram bracket would be attached if so equipped. This was covered by the forward frame color applied by hand

Jeff Speegle