Author Topic: Correct Finish Under Ride Traction Bar Mounting Hardware  (Read 1486 times)

Offline 3.25posi

Correct Finish Under Ride Traction Bar Mounting Hardware
« on: January 08, 2022, 03:45:16 PM »
I'm looking for a little help to determine what the correct finish should be on these parts. How's they come from S.A. My originals in one photo before media blasting, and again in the second with sort of gold finish. Thanks in advance, Denny. 
Mid-March 1966 Fastback

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Correct Finish Under Ride Traction Bar Mounting Hardware
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 04:30:12 PM »
The lower copper like color is what your looking for
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 3.25posi

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 06:53:01 PM »
Thank you Jeff!
Mid-March 1966 Fastback

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 05:05:36 PM »
What is the original finish called?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 05:44:47 PM »

Never seen a printed description of the color/finish in anything that Traction Master published nor Shelby
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 05:56:12 PM »
The copper color of  Krylon and other brands correspond to what is found on the cast iron bracket I and many others have found in 60's vintage NOS traction master kits. Degraded remnants of the copper color have been found on rusty originals but they are typically just visible enough to give a idea that it was the same color as what is found in the old kits. Traction Master did away with the cast iron brackets in 68 or 69 and replaced it with a welded steel unit.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 3.25posi

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 09:59:37 PM »
Please help me out again as I'm a little confused at this point. Did the mounting hardware get painted black at S.A.?  Early photos of GT-350 undercarriages are black and white, thus no help. Color photos are few and far between. I see black painted hardware and also what seems to be copper. What should I do with these?  Thanks, Denny
Mid-March 1966 Fastback

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 11:51:28 PM »
Please help me out again as I'm a little confused at this point. Did the mounting hardware get painted black at S.A.?  Early photos of GT-350 undercarriages are black and white, thus no help. Color photos are few and far between. I see black painted hardware and also what seems to be copper. What should I do with these?  Thanks, Denny
Copper color has been the conscientious of opinion among Shelby restorers for many years now. I have seen the brackets with trace copper on unrestored cars. Coincidentally the NOS traction bars that TM sold back in the 60's with the cast iron brackets came copper painted. It is reasonable to assume therefore that the copper color was the typical. I find it hard to understand why TM would sell Shelby black painted ones and go to the trouble of selling their retail customers copper painted ones. Not to say that it is beyond the realm of possibility but the copper is what I will advise until more comprehensive evidence suggests otherwise. Others such as maple hill choose black . You do what you think best however you may get push back in concours venues. The front steel brackets that were welded are copper in the kits however as a matter of procedure at Shelby once the front brackets were welded on they and surrounding welded area were given a coat of semi gloss black spray paint so that the burned off paint from welding would not flash rust.   
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 11:53:35 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 3.25posi

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 08:29:37 AM »
OK, copper color it is. Thank you very much. Denny
Mid-March 1966 Fastback

Offline K-HESS

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 03:53:36 PM »
Here are a few pictures from an old NOS set I have on the shelf. They have some surface rust setting in, but you can make out some detail.
The Little Devil-1969 Mach1 9T02Rxxx666 Built 10/21/68
A5-Raven Black, 3D-Dark Red Clarion Knit Vinyl, 4-Speed

Offline 3.25posi

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 02:13:04 PM »
K-HESS, Thanks for taking the time to post the photos, I appreciate it.
Mid-March 1966 Fastback