Author Topic: Magstar Paint when was cut over to dark grey metallic?  (Read 634 times)

Offline S412gofast

Magstar Paint when was cut over to dark grey metallic?
« on: March 06, 2022, 01:33:12 PM »
I know the paint color, natural color on early cars and dark grey metallic on later has been discussed in threads.  However when was cut over to dark grey metallic?

We are restoring GT350 #1341 and I just unboxed the original Magstars that my Father sent out to Paradise Wheels back in the late 1980s to get restored and they look to be painted black.  I did not evaluate the wheels back then before they were sent years ago to get resto'd.
I want to correct the finish so what would be the correct finish for #1341.  Dates in signature.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 06:04:33 PM by S412gofast »
1967 GT350 01341, FORD Build: 2/28/67 ; SAI Build 3/28/67
1966 GT 2+2, 4spd, PS, tinted windows, Raven Black w/Black Pony interior; FORD Build: 10/11/65
1986 SVO, Oxford White w/Leather interior
1987 Saleen #132 Dark Gray Metallic

Offline tgilliam

Re: Magstar Paint when was cut over to dark grey metallic?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 08:56:47 AM »
It is my understanding from previous research and discussions here and on the SAAC Forum that somewhere around the first 200 67's that got Magstar wheels had the center area painted black. From that point forward all the Magstars used, even the over-the-counter service part wheels (early) had the dark gray appearance. From my research, the dark gray appearance is not paint but an anodized treatment of the as-casted aluminum center. To my knowledge no one has been able to successfully re-create that original anodized surface when restoring the wheels or by the companies that have reproduced this wheel. Paradise Wheel has always painted center black back when they were restoring wheels and on the wheels they manufacture. A reasonable facsimile of the center appearance can be achieved by painting the center area with a good representative color.
I have a car build the following week from yours and still have the original Magstars. They did NOT have black centers from the factory. That is the only factual data point I can provide.
I hope this is helpful. Some of the experts may have better, more detailed information to share.

Tom Gilliam
(270) 755 - 6417 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 12:35:41 PM »
I know the paint color, natural color on early cars and dark grey metallic on later has been discussed in threads.  However when was cut over to dark grey metallic?

We are restoring GT350 #1341 and I just unboxed the original Magstars that my Father sent out to Paradise Wheels back in the late 1980s to get restored and they look to be painted black.  I did not evaluate the wheels back then before they were sent years ago to get resto'd.
I want to correct the finish so what would be the correct finish for #1341.  Dates in signature.
There was light grey early and dark gray later . I have not seen any evidence to support black being used on the wheels during 67 production from the factory. There is no clear cut off for when the change happened in any historical records so far . Given when your car was built and if it came with Magstars from the factory then most likely they would be the lighter shade IMO. Wheels were switched at the dealer on many occasions and if your car did not have magstar wheels originally it could conceivably end up with the darker shade magstars from a later car the dealer had in stock before it left the dealer.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline S412gofast

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 12:59:20 PM »
Thank you Tom and Bob,

Bob,

Our #1341 did come with magstars and these are original to the car.  Do you have a reference to a paint I could use to on our wheels to achieve the lighter grey finish?

thanks
Carl
1967 GT350 01341, FORD Build: 2/28/67 ; SAI Build 3/28/67
1966 GT 2+2, 4spd, PS, tinted windows, Raven Black w/Black Pony interior; FORD Build: 10/11/65
1986 SVO, Oxford White w/Leather interior
1987 Saleen #132 Dark Gray Metallic