Author Topic: Leaf Spring Clamp orientation  (Read 700 times)

Offline Texascobra

Leaf Spring Clamp orientation
« on: April 14, 2022, 08:57:20 PM »
I am ready to put my springs back together. At the risk of triggering someone, is the orientation of the tab through the hole in the attached photo correct? (Jan 23 build so I will be using round hole clamps)
65 427SC 4123
67 GT500 752 1/23/67
96 Cobra American Iron Racer
12 GT500 Daily Driver

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Leaf Spring Clamp orientation
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 10:11:59 PM »
I am ready to put my springs back together. At the risk of triggering someone, is the orientation of the tab through the hole in the attached photo correct? (Jan 23 build so I will be using round hole clamps)
Although not in reference to question but since you are concerned about originality as your nuance question indicates .You have copied a incorrect paint leaf spring detail from most likely a 65/66 GT350 or hipo. The incorrect detail is much more noticeable IMO. A 67 Shelby regardless of GT350 or GT500 had rear leaf springs identified by a one orange sideways paint stripe instead of the green and yellow spray dot.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Texascobra

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 09:57:35 AM »
I am staying away from paint marks. Too easy to get wrong. I just want to make sure I get the clamps on correctly.
65 427SC 4123
67 GT500 752 1/23/67
12 GT500 Daily Driver

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 09:58:12 AM »
A 67 Shelby regardless of GT350 or GT500 had rear leaf springs identified by a one orange sideways paint stripe instead of the green and yellow spray dot.

Bob, my car 1242 has single orange spray dots rather than stripes.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 12:53:26 PM »
I have not seen the orange spray spot on the hundreds that I have inspected that were built before and after 1242.  With that said I haven't  seen them all . At the very least the spray dot was seldom done on 67 Shelby's based on observations. The stripe is by far the most typical on 67 Shelby's . If showing in judged concours be prepared to show reasonable evidence to support that the orange spray spot was used on your specific car.  Just because something was found on one car does not automatically mean it is right for all cars or possible on all cars. If not participating in a concours judged event then do what you think is best for you.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 12:59:00 PM »
I am staying away from paint marks. Too easy to get wrong. I just want to make sure I get the clamps on correctly.
Then I am glad I was able to help pointing out the very visible incorrect ones as they relate to 67 Shelby's.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 01:02:25 PM »
I have seen them both ways. It probably had to do with the person clamping them at the time. I have never made a deduction for orientation only if they were not all done the same.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 07:29:23 PM »
First thanks for including your cars finish date at San Jose

Is your car an unrestored car.  Agree with Bob that it was not normal to see spray dots especially given the cars numberand if the car is restored maybe the builder copied marking methods from other years.

As for orientation here are some unrestored original examples from around your cars build date

1/10/67 Drivers side

Passenger side

1/13/67 Drivers side

1/16/67  The one set of square hole clamps in this group and production period

1/23/67 Passenger side

1/26/67 Drivers side

2/2/67 Passenger side

Hope these help you and others
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Texascobra

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 01:42:09 AM »
Excellent. Thanks.
65 427SC 4123
67 GT500 752 1/23/67
12 GT500 Daily Driver

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 12:01:41 PM »
Is your car an unrestored car.  Agree with Bob that it was not normal to see spray dots especially given the cars number and if the car is restored maybe the builder copied marking methods from other years.

It has been many years, but when I removed the original unrestored springs the traces of orange were present in an irregular circular pattern - no evidence of stripe.  I made tracings of the numbers and denoted the orange patterns on the bottom leaf:
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 03:11:25 PM »
It has been many years, but when I removed the original unrestored springs the traces of orange were present in an irregular circular pattern - no evidence of stripe.  I made tracings of the numbers and denoted the orange patterns on the bottom leaf:
The typical spray dots used on the earlier year leafs would seem to cover a smaller area with soft edges from the spray pattern compared to your drawing  . Given your drawing is the typical location for the orange stripe and the larger area it seems to cover I could easily see it as being the center remnant portion of a stripe with the outside edges where the paint may have flaked off.  Just another possible interpretation of your drawing using information from the overwhelmingly more typical 67 leaf spring markings to fill in the blanks.