Author Topic: breather / air cleaner question  (Read 695 times)

Offline Boss/Cyclone

breather / air cleaner question
« on: April 26, 2022, 09:29:37 PM »
The air cleaner on my GT500 has the pcv tube facing to the driver side.   Every picture I have seen on line has it facing the passenger side.   Any idea what is going on?  I have owned it since 1987 and that is the way it was when I bought it.

Here is one from the nvsaac site.   Attached below are pictures of mine.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 09:43:04 PM by Boss/Cyclone »
1967 GT500#2100 4speed, inboards  67400F9A02100
1966 Mustang GT fastback, A code, 4 speed, pony interior
1969 Mustang GT convertible H code, acapulco blue

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: breather / air cleaner question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 09:50:47 PM »
The air cleaner on my GT500 has the pcv tube facing to the driver side.   Every picture I have seen on line has it facing the passenger side.   Any idea what is going on?  I have owned it since 1987 and that is the way it was when I bought it.

Here is one from the nvsaac site.   Attached below are pictures of mine.

It is supposed to be turned towards the passenger side from the factory. That curved neck fitting is designed to swivel. It is swedged into place but that process does not make it permanently fixed. It may be tough to turn but it will typically turn . You may have to help it by working some lubricant into the joint.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Boss/Cyclone

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 10:13:26 PM »
Thanks Bob, I was afraid to mess with it.   It feels tight right now, but I will work on carefully.   When I bought it the pvc hose was running from the passenger side valve cover, between the carbs then up the drivers side of the intake to the tube in front.   I knew that was not right because sometimes the carb linkage would rub on it.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 10:51:11 PM »
Thanks Bob, I was afraid to mess with it.   It feels tight right now, but I will work on carefully.   When I bought it the pvc hose was running from the passenger side valve cover, between the carbs then up the drivers side of the intake to the tube in front.   I knew that was not right because sometimes the carb linkage would rub on it.
I would suggest using some penetrating oil of your choice and using a metal tube /bar etc. that fits snug into the elbow opening work the elbow back and forth gradually increasing movement until you can turn it where you want it. Given the pcv valve hose comes from the rear of the passenger side valve cover, that is the optimum angle you want to go for with your base elbow opening. With all of this said if this is a driver car there is a preferred way (although not assemblyline) for the PCV valve to actually do its job . The elbow should be capped off with a rubber cap and then take out the pipe fitting plug of the most forward intake runner plug hole and install a nipple fitting. That is the place to run a hose from the pcv valve to the intake fitting . It will get the vacuum needed to make the pcv valve work. The assemblyline air cleaner base nipple provides almost nonexistent vacuum . Vacuum is needed to make the PVC work. Things can be easily converted back in case you want to show the car like it left the factory.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Boss/Cyclone

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 11:18:45 PM »
I do not drive it much.  The car is mostly original and whenever I find an issue I am trying to put it correct as possible.   I did recently locate the ford vin number on the transmission, lol after owning it this long you would think I would have looked for it before now.   Maybe one day it will compete as a concours car, who knows.   I have only driven it 500 miles in the last 28 years.   But I drove it over 5000 miles the first 7 years I owned it.   

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 11:43:54 PM »
I do not drive it much.  The car is mostly original and whenever I find an issue I am trying to put it correct as possible.   I did recently locate the ford vin number on the transmission, lol after owning it this long you would think I would have looked for it before now.   Maybe one day it will compete as a concours car, who knows.   I have only driven it 500 miles in the last 28 years.   But I drove it over 5000 miles the first 7 years I owned it.
That is perfectly fine .You should do what is best for you. Others reading this thread can hopefully use the information as a alternative if needed.