Author Topic: Hardware to attach fiberglass tail light panel to metal tail light panel?  (Read 716 times)

Offline kkupec02

I am looking for the correct hardware to attach the fiberglass tail light panel to the metal Ford panel. I had 4 flange nuts attaching the panel by way of the 4 stud posts in the fiberglass panel as shown in the first picture. But they are rusty and partially painted by the last guy so I want to replace them with what is correct. Note the huge fender washers due to the Shelby oversized cut on the Ford panel. The outer/lower attachment holes had crappy old square head nuts and bolts. I see NPD sells a rivet kit for this purpose. but I have 6 lower holes in the panel and the rivet kit contains 8 rivets? Also, I would think that there would be too much stress and possible cracking of the fiberglass by attaching the panel with rivets? What is correct here? I can't really see anything in the unrestored picture threads as the fasteners are behind the bumper. Page 31 of the master assembly manual also shows me nothing.......    https://www.npdlink.com/product/mounting-kit-taillight-panel-outer-cover/212290?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dfiberglass%252Btail%252Blight%252Bpanel%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1967&year=1967
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
I am looking for the correct hardware to attach the fiberglass tail light panel to the metal Ford panel. I had 4 flange nuts attaching the panel by way of the 4 stud posts in the fiberglass panel as shown in the first picture. But they are rusty and partially painted by the last guy so I want to replace them with what is correct. Note the huge fender washers due to the Shelby oversized cut on the Ford panel. The outer/lower attachment holes had crappy old square head nuts and bolts. I see NPD sells a rivet kit for this purpose. but I have 6 lower holes in the panel and the rivet kit contains 8 rivets? Also, I would think that there would be too much stress and possible cracking of the fiberglass by attaching the panel with rivets? What is correct here? I can't really see anything in the unrestored picture threads as the fasteners are behind the bumper. Page 31 of the master assembly manual also shows me nothing.......    https://www.npdlink.com/product/mounting-kit-taillight-panel-outer-cover/212290?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dfiberglass%252Btail%252Blight%252Bpanel%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1967&year=1967
Top picture typically would have flange nuts on the studs coming out of the tail light housing .The kind of flange nut with the serrated bottom side like those used on the back side of the front coil spring covers.  The large  fender style washer for the stud coming out of the fiberglass tail panel  could have a regular nut and lock washer or flange nut with serrated bottom. The kit from the NPD link is for a later build then yours 67 I believe. If it had the later raised tail panel with the lip that rolled over the upper Mustang tail panel edge then it had the black rivets to hold down the lip to the Mustang tail panel .  The lower portion would also typically have a rivet . If a early fiberglass tail panel with no lip over the top then of course no rivets up there and ether a rivet or a P/O pan head screw in the lower hole of the fiberglass tail panel.  P/O Pan head screw in the end cap also lower portion. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby