Author Topic: Gold Paint For Air Cleaner & Valve Covers  (Read 893 times)

Offline Ken65GT

Gold Paint For Air Cleaner & Valve Covers
« on: August 27, 2022, 11:11:02 PM »
I came upon an unanswered question regarding the proper gold engine paint. When I attempted to reply the topic I was told the question was120 days old and advised me to create a new topic. Being the new kid on the block and wanting to give back for all the help received,  I obeyed.

With regard to the gold engine paint I read an article in Motortrend that along with NPD they came up with a spot on match, Omni-Fill AP-EGC.

For your convenience I've pasted the link below for the article.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1805-get-it-right-ford-engine-paint/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 11:25:31 PM by J_Speegle »
Ken Webb
65A J  26  28S  33  E  6
5F07Axxxxxx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Gold Paint For Air Cleaner & Valve Covers
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 11:38:25 PM »
Might be familiar for some members and lurkers as article is a few years old and first posted here in 2019 in the following thread

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19799.msg125018#msg125018

We did have another thread on matching the gold for the 65's but appears the links are all dead  :( now since they were not saved here locally in our gallery
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline David65coupe

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 12:01:38 PM »
Has anyone looked at interior or exterior gold paint to see if it matches? The reason I ask, NPD is out of the paint and does not know when they will get any.. I would not think Ford, would use a paint Only for valve covers and air cleaner. Help
May 1965, Coupe, Dearborn, C code, 4 speed pos. traction rear end, 5F07C732371.. If it can be done incorrectly, I did it, sadly..

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 02:28:02 PM »
'I would not think Ford, would use a paint Only for valve covers and air cleaner.'
don't bet on that. ford did a lot of weird stuff back then.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 06:37:36 PM »
'I would not think Ford, would use a paint Only for valve covers and air cleaner.'
don't bet on that. ford did a lot of weird stuff back then.
Most likely the valve covers and air cleaner base were made and painted in another facility, separate from any automotive assembly plant, and there were several.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 01:37:52 AM »
Has anyone looked at interior or exterior gold paint to see if it matches? ........................

Interior paint would be a low gloss finish due to reflective concerns so that is not going to work IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)