Author Topic: 67 Shelby Running Changes Main Thread Findings  (Read 3707 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
67 Shelby Running Changes Main Thread Findings
« on: November 08, 2022, 12:42:34 AM »
Knew we would eventually have to start a thread on the running changes made to production 67 Shelby's during their production year. Many have already been studied while others have not yet been identified. As in the other Running Change threads you can suggest subjects here but we'll discuss them in satellite threads linked back to this main "collection" thread. Posts will be removed as the suggestions get added to the list below to keep this particular thread on the short side.

Remember that the 67 SJ Mustang Running Change Thread is also a thread to check for changes related to you Shelby that Ford had.
https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=23218.0

Drivetrain

Engine

E1- GT350 Intake - Change from S2MS 9424-A, large letter with the corner of the "A" removed, slightly larger S2MS 9424-A version with Thermactor check valve mounting bosses and S7MS 9424-A

E2- GT500 Air cleaner lid/cover - 4 versions will provide more specific details in the discussion thread linked (once established) below. Basically, Sand-cast T-Bird style with missing T-Bird emblem version, bare sand-cast COBRA version, black winkle painted COBRA version with sanded details and lastly COBRA version with visible (slightly) ingot insert rectangle in top surface around the COBRA. Black wrinkle painted with sanded details or bare/unpainted styles.

E3- GT500 Air cleaner bases - Some differences may be related to specific application or original destination while others may be related to production period, A good survey and discussion should help determine the details

E4-

E5-

Transmission

TR1-

TR2-

Rearend

R1- Rear end third member - Use of "standard" single vertical web with date code verses dual vertical web and "SPEC" in place of the casting date insert.

R2-

Engine Compartment

EC1- Amp Meter wire - wrap - Change from spiral opaque colored wrap - black plastic sheath - black plastic "tape" wrap

EC2- Amp Meter wire - routing - Change from unsupported on the passenger side to retained to the upper surface of the shock tower with a hole and plastic clip re-purposed from the front cross member.
       https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=27504.0

EC3- Radiator support to Hood Seal - Focusing only on bodies and the change made at San Jose for Shelby's.

EC4- Amp gauge isolator/junction block -

EC5- Amp and choke cable routing -

EC6-

EC7-

Exterior

EX1- Upper scoop lights

EX2- Front (nose section) fiberglass- Change from single piece with weave mat, two piece with weave mat, one piece with fiberglass headlight bucket molded in, one piece with chop gun style mat.

EX3- Nose support and license plate bracket

EX4- Grills - One piece, Two piece angled, Two piece upright/vertical Inboard, Two piece upright/vertical Outboard

EX5- Grill emblems- With and without grill emblems

EX6- Exterior emblem changes - Early style flat style with lighter shaded background and snake artwork design to slighty darker raised detail design

EX7- Outer/Low beam headlight ring - Change from painted (body color) to chrome plated finish.

EX8- Outer/Low beam headlight mounting - Brackets and hardware style

EX9- Inboard/High beam attaching brackets

EX10- Hood lanyard - Attachment location/style

EX11- Exterior emblem changes

EX12- Hood  - Steel frame to all/one piece fiberglass frame design

EX12b- Hood springs - Change from standard Mustang to smaller diameter & lighter tension springs. Anticipate the change will match with the change above

EX13- Trunk lid design - Change from steel framed to all/one piece fiberglass design

EX14- Lower side scoops - Change from functional to nonfunctional

EX15- Trunk lid/Quarter panel end caps- Change in number of exterior installed retaining screws for the lower section

EX16- Taillight panel - fiberglass - Change from flat with no upper lip, later with contoured lens openings with no upper lip to later contoured lens openings with upper lip.

EX17- Taillight bezel design - Change from designed that used hidden (from exterior) attaching studs to visible (from exterior) screws

EX18- Gas cap design - Change in the design from flat to raised center of the center "pop-open" section of the gas cap

EX18- Gas cap emblem design - Change from flat to contoured .See EX6- for emblem design changes.

EX19- Rear valance - Three versions - hand cut valance lower edge to clear exhaust tips trimmed with a customized/cut 65-66 Mustang GT exhaust trim ring, one piece diecast Cougar GTE trim ring and a standard 67 Mustang dual exhaust standard rear valance

EX20- Exhaust tips - Two piece welded to one piece design

EX21-

EX22-

Interior

I1- AMP/Oil gauge pod face - Change from no visible retaining screws to visible, once mounted in the car, two attaching screws

I2- Steering wheel - Difference in the "plastic" transition from rim to spokes

I3- Roll bar design - Change from six (roof, floor & rear wheel house)  attachment points to four (roof and floor).

I3b- Roll bar insulators/"donuts" - Change from no insulators to the use of insulators 

13c- Roll bar cover - Change from removable cover to molded on cover.

I4- Sill plate emblems/labels - Change from those marked with the CS "race track" logo and the words to the version with the coiled Snake logo with the words. Both had the two line "shelby american, inc. los angeles, califorina"  wording to the right of the logo.

I6-

I7-

I8-

Trunk

T1- Taillight support brackets - Multiple versions some associated with the taillight bezel frame changeover

T2- Taillight wiring harness Covering - Exposed wires, next wires in plastic sheath to tape wrapped.

T2b- Taillight wiring connectors - Solid blue to. later blue stripe butt connector.

T3-

T4-

T5-

Undercarriage

U1- Rear springs - Change from rear springs marked C7ZA 5556 AM to  C7ZA 5556 AR

U2-

U3-

U4-

U5-

Last Updated - 10/8/2022
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 11:04:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)