Author Topic: Was Shelby fiberglass available from dealers?  (Read 764 times)

Offline AJ

Was Shelby fiberglass available from dealers?
« on: March 26, 2023, 01:10:22 AM »
Back in the day?was shelby fiberglass available for purchase through Ford parts dept.  (as sourced from AOSmith)

I?m thinking about collision repair scenarios in the early 1970?s

Specifically the 69 70.  Were hoods, fenders, headlight buckets still available several years after production

I?m trying to solve a mystery about my 70 500
When purchased in 1981,  the front aprons and radiator support had been replaced.    BUT?all front fiberglass, trim and grill area pieces were authentic Shelby parts in good condition.  Only explanations i can come up with is that all of shelby-specific parts were still available and were replaced during collision repair?.or a donor car was sourced.

Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Was Shelby fiberglass available from dealers?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 01:38:30 AM »
Back in the day?was shelby fiberglass available for purchase through Ford parts dept.  (as sourced from AOSmith)

I?m thinking about collision repair scenarios in the early 1970?s

Specifically the 69 70.  Were hoods, fenders, headlight buckets still available several years after production

I?m trying to solve a mystery about my 70 500
When purchased in 1981,  the front aprons and radiator support had been replaced.    BUT?all front fiberglass, trim and grill area pieces were authentic Shelby parts in good condition.  Only explanations i can come up with is that all of shelby-specific parts were still available and were replaced during collision repair?.or a donor car was sourced.
Yes the 69/70 fiberglass was a Ford part just like a fender, steering wheel, tail light lens etc. The parts were ordered through the parts dept of your local Ford dealer.  Some of the parts go obsolete faster then others . Some parts are still avaialble after 50 years although most replacement parts have  changed from assemblyline appearance over time . I know that you could get most all of the 69/70 front fiberglass parts well into the 70's . One by one they dropped out of the system
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby