Author Topic: Crankshaft Pulley Bolts - 68 FE  (Read 2150 times)

Offline warwick

Crankshaft Pulley Bolts - 68 FE
« on: April 19, 2023, 02:16:43 PM »
I removed these bolts from my crankshaft pulley. They are Grade 5 marked and have some markings: B S U that I haven't seen before. I believe them to be original to the car.

While Ford doc indicates the original bolts are PN 374525-S8 and are used extensively early 60s engines to attach the pulley to the harmonic balancer. AMK guide to Fasteners (and Ford Std Parts & Utility Cat) linsts 374525-S8 as a Grade 2 hex head split SEMS 3/8-16x1.00. I have seen 55215-S washer(ie: flange) head -also Grade 2. AMK's replacement bolt I believe is a Grade 8 Place bolt.

Has anyone seen these markings before?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 08:01:47 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolts
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 02:43:03 PM »
What year and what engine would be helpful to know. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline warwick

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 04:48:43 PM »
Bob,

I went to the 67 Engine Assembly Manual and most engines use the same bolt PN. 68 late year FE.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 06:10:49 PM »
Bob,

I went to the 67 Engine Assembly Manual and most engines use the same bolt PN. 68 late year FE.
Nope ,not in the real world at least. 67 FE do not typically use that type of bolt to hold the crank pulley. Neither did 68 or 69 typically.The typical bolt used there is a castle head style.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 06:13:42 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline warwick

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 06:29:15 PM »
Bob,

The MPC (Final Issue) does spec a place bolt PN 42998-S8 which is a G8 place bolt for 68/70 FEs; which is diff from most Engine Assy Manual applications.

The bolts from my engine I have not seen nor do I understand the B S U markings; they are F (Ford) bolts.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 06:51:56 PM by warwick »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 06:53:47 PM »
Don't recognize them either. Know that at least one engine plant had an issue with installing the crank pulley bolts incorrectly but those were on small block engines and they caught the problem pretty quickly. Sorry just one of those area I've never taken pictures of to help out

Will change the title to reflect the focus of 68 FE to help others when they view the thread later
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline warwick

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 07:01:40 PM »
Jeff/Bob,

I think the issue is further confused because I think at some point Ford upgraded to the Place (castle head as Bob calls it) Bolt from the original spec'd SEMs bolt. I think this issue may cross some engine architectures.

I have just never seen the Ford bolts on my engine.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 07:51:38 PM »
I think the issue is further confused because I think at some point Ford upgraded to the Place (castle head as Bob calls it) Bolt from the original spec'd SEMs bolt. I think this issue may cross some engine architectures.
I have just never seen the Ford bolts on my engine.
Just because you have an engine with a bolt that has the correct threads, but does not have the correct head style does not mean is was a period correct bolt. Your Mustang is over 50 years old. A lot of "maintenance" was performed in that period of time, at least I hope it was. Those bolts may be a better selection 20 or 30 years ago, but if you are attempting a concourse grade restoration, those are the wrong bolts.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 07:59:35 PM »
The bolts from my engine I have not seen nor do I understand the B S U markings; they are F (Ford) bolts.
UBS = Unified Bearing Stress. The head was undercut to allow the bolt, under nominal torque, to deform and provide an acceptable level of "locking", thereby eliminating the need for a lock washer. This "technology" was not acceptable for use on government programs.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline warwick

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 08:13:56 AM »
Jim,

Thank you. While UBS is a generic term and makes sense I was unable to find the bolt in Ford documentation.  That is why I posted the question if anyone else has seen it. Did Ford have a recall or tech notice to replace bolts?

As far as the bolt not being original - this is a low mile original car with service records and the original owner known, the engine was not removed till 2020. On inspection all gaskets (inc SS head) and pieces were Ford. The timing chain original nylon teeth. All fan belts original date coded. All Pwr Steering hoses correctly date coded. It is a May build GTE 427. The harmonic balancer on close inspection was painted black on the inside and not on the outside - this was from the factory. Evidently this was seen in earlier engines.

It is easy to say something is not original and harder to prove they are original. In this case indications are they are the original bolts. So the question still stands: has anyone else seen these bolts?

Offline jwc66k

Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolts - 68 FE
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 08:34:51 PM »
I found the Ford hardware part numbers you referenced, and being that the UBS hardware you seem to have, was introduce in 1968, it is "possible".
But if I was looking at your car as if it was in the "Thoroughbred Class", I would not accept that type of bolt.
Jim

Offline warwick

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2023, 08:10:15 AM »
Jim,

Once again Thank you.

What is the PN and where did you find it?

As far as "Thoroughbred Class" goes - this car for better or worse cannot be judged necessarily as a hi-production unit in all areas. This is something I have concluded. Having said that take it any way you want: oddball, car built to order or anomaly because of timeframe.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2023, 04:08:24 PM »
What is the PN and where did you find it?
I have seen 55215-S washer(ie: flange) head -also Grade 2. AMK's replacement bolt I believe is a Grade 8 Place bolt.
I looked up the numbers you listed. The Ford measurements are spelled out in the "AMK Guide TO Ford Fasteners, 1955-73".
Jim

Offline warwick

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2023, 07:41:22 PM »
PN 55215-S is the correct thread specs: 3/8-16 x 1.00, but it is what they term a hex washer head - I always referred to as a flange head. It is Grade 2.

The Ford bolts that I have are Grade 5 and the head base is definitely extended out more (+ UBS markings). Anything even close in the Ford Std & Utility Parts Catalog doesn't com in correct Grade or length.

Do we know if Ford ever issued a recall?  Was the Grade 8 Place bolt original equipment-from the doc I have seen the Grade 2 SEMS bolt was original. I do not have a 68 MPL. I have only a seat recall on my car.

I always thought Ford made or bought fasteners by the drum, especially for use on the engine assembly line.

I would like to get some feedback from some of the FE experienced guys on the forum.

Offline warwick

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2023, 02:54:18 PM »
I did a little more research. 

The AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners defines Ford UBS Bolts on 141-144. The closest Ford PN to my crankshaft bolts is 56140-S It is a Grade 5 UBS Bolt 3/8-16x1.00. My bolts are not fully threaded w/o a lead point. The Ford PN is a partial thread. AMK does not carry this bolt but does carry UBS fasteners - just do a search on UBS. What is interesting with the UBS Bolt is that they are undercut under the thread (thats the grip). Looks machined to me.

Per AMK there were standard applications for UBS fasteners; looks like all 68 and later. Some were Boss 302 intake, Boss 429 Motor Mount, 302/351C intake, 68 Ford bumpers.

All UBS Bolts have a Ford 56NNN Standard Part designation (5 digits indicates a Std PN as opposed to a special PN). The Ford Standard Parts Catalog (around 600 Pages) that I have predates this block of fasteners. This Catalog was a internal reference doc I doubt if you saw it at a dealer or anywhere other than a engineering facility. I would say this is where Max (AMK) did his homework.

Does anyone have a Standard Parts Catalog updated to 66-68 era???

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 03:21:27 PM by warwick »