Author Topic: Assembly Line 390/428 C7ZA engine mounts insulators finish?  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Kyle Zammit

Hi all,

I am looking for unrestored pictures showing C7ZA engine mounts insulators, Assembly Line on 67 390 or 67 Shelby GT500. Anyone who have pictures of these please post them here.

Thanks Kyle.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Assembly Line 390/428 C7ZA engine mounts insulators finish?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 11:15:29 PM »
Here are a couple

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 12:27:31 AM »
 I recognize the pattern of my blue judo mats on the upper pictures Jeff posted. I still have the C7ZA mounts. All of the ones that I have ever seen were blacked out or at least thinly painted black with the exception of the lower ears as seen in the picture which were bare steel.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Kyle Zammit

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 12:40:23 AM »
Thank you very much Jeff and Bob. Did they first paint the lower ears than they mold the rubber on the metal ?
I have found two C7ZA and I noticed that they were painted like Bob said. I also noticed that under the rubber molded is almost painted black on the lower ears. I think when I paint the lowere ears I mask all the rubber molded pieces and top metal side to make it look like Assembly Line.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 04:38:33 AM »
Here are a few more of this late San Jose built car that I shared pictures of in the Unrestored Picture Thread section

On the drivers side the lower steel section didn't get much if any black but the edge suggest that it might have gotten some.

Close-up of the black paint

On the passenger side that surface may be dirty or have some - just didn't clean it of that day to see and take a picture

This picture is "neat" IMHO as it shows that even after 50 years you can see of the surface difference in the natural of the motor mount to body bracket/mount where they were welded together. Hasn't even surface rusted in those area after all these years.

Pictures also help with some of the possible hardware questions others may have.

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 10:13:05 AM »
Thank you very much Jeff and Bob. Did they first paint the lower ears than they mold the rubber on the metal ?
I have found two C7ZA and I noticed that they were painted like Bob said. I also noticed that under the rubber molded is almost painted black on the lower ears. I think when I paint the lowere ears I mask all the rubber molded pieces and top metal side to make it look like Assembly Line.
The rubber was molded on before any painting was done. The lower ears which is the section that the long bolt goes through is bare steel.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Kyle Zammit

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 02:40:01 PM »
Thanks Jeff and Bob. So the molded rubber were painted black with steel?

I removed a piece of the molded rubber and under the molded rubber has black paint.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 06:30:58 PM »
Don't think nor have seen any evidence that the lower "ears" were masked off manually or with a mask so would not have issue with finding some black on the lower ears someplace.

Not unusual for owners or shops when removing these during a rebuild to freshen them up with a quick coat of black - often glossy so we have to be careful of possibly running across them

Kyle - do you have a picture of the paint under the bonded rybber?
Jeff Speegle

Offline Kyle Zammit

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 04:08:10 PM »
I think that the lower side (engine side) was painted before the rubber molded. The section that the long bolt goes through I believe is bare not painted.

I have an extra of rubber mounts and I removed a piece of the rubber molded. Here is a picture it is showing black paint. Also It doesn't have black paint on the rubber molded.

Here are some pictures.

Offline Kyle Zammit

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2023, 04:06:19 PM »
Maybe they first paint the bare metal black then they mold the rubber then they paint again the mounting with rubber ?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2023, 05:00:03 PM »
Maybe they first paint the bare metal black then they mold the rubber then they paint again the mounting with rubber ?

That process has been observed on other motor mounts for other applications
Jeff Speegle

Offline Kyle Zammit

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2023, 05:16:27 PM »
I checked my C7ZA motor mounts and under the rubber molded is black also. But I can't check if they were painted with a process that was originally painted black on metal along rubber.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2023, 05:25:48 PM »
The expected end result is the same. The mount is painted black with the lower ears bare steel. There was a faded soft line between the black and the bare steel portion of the mounting ears. Next.

Offline Kyle Zammit

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2023, 05:37:51 PM »
Ok thanks for that information I will do them that way.
 Does anyone know the correct Assembly line colour pait marking please? On a 67 Shelby GT500.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2023, 06:17:49 PM »
Ok thanks for that information I will do them that way.
 Does anyone know the correct Assembly line colour pait marking please? On a 67 Shelby GT500.

You'll notice in reply #4 some yellow on that original mount. Have seen the same on NOS and service replacements.

Applied with a brush. Its my opinion that this was not for identification but to highlight the mount and to help the worker quickly find and located the mount as the worker in the pit guided the engine into place during installation. Yellow is often seen on other applications
Jeff Speegle