Author Topic: 1967 mustang/shelby competition suspension automatic shifter mechanism.  (Read 1217 times)

Offline V8Dave

Hello Everyone.
This is my first post on the concours mustang forum(so hello everyone) however have been a member of the shelby forum for a while, and i love all classic mustangs and shelbys and i am always willing to learn.
I am in need of some information/photos and any help somebody can give me would be much appreciated.
I have one of the 67 mustang/shelby competition suspension automatic shifter mechanisms that i am about to install back into a 67 gt500 however the bottom of the shifter bucket is missing what appears to be the little welded on plate that the spring loaded plunger rides on from what photos i have managed to find and i am assuming has 3 craters or round recesses for the plunger to hit/rest in when the shifter is either in D/2/1. if i am correct in my thinking/understanding on how this set up works?
Would anyone happen to have some good pictures of the 67 mustang/shelby shifter mechanism and especially of the little plate that is welded on to the bottom of the bucket assembly seen from underneath the car?
Anyone that can supply me with measurements/photos/the gauge of steel for the plate that was used on the competition shifter mechanism to make the little plate absolutely anything at all would be much appreciated so i can get this fixed before it is installed back in the car would be a great help.
Also does anyone happen to have a photocopy or scan of the two page article in Mustang Times (MCA Feb 2018) that had a feature about the shifter detent i am talking about?
I will try and post a photo of my shifter bucket assembly so as to show what i am missing.
Thank you all in advance for any help or information , regarding my shifter problem its much appreciated.
Many thanks
Dave

Offline V8Dave

Here is a picture of the bottom of my shifter bucket(first photo) and the second photo is a photo of the plate i am missing(believe that photo originally came from the concours mustang forum however i did a search and could not find anything)
Many thanks.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Welcome to the site. Have been watching your discussion over on the SAAC forum. Lots more of those cars built with comp suspension in 67 than Mustangs with the same package and an automatic transmission and would guess of that handful many never looked at the shifter modification. I know I never did back decades ago when I had one.

Can't recall if I've posted these following pictures on this site or not. Some are mine and others have been shared by others.

Unfortunately I didn't try and make patterns for both the upper and lower modifications when I had the opportunity

A1- Small lower plated that the indent shaft connects to. The adjustable shaft has a inner moving detent shaft rounded at one end and is spring loaded

A2- Lower indent shaft

A3- An example of the spring loaded end that road across the plate added to the base of the shifter.Please ignore the shinny nuts they used on the shaft to remove it from the lower shift arm in the upper left of the picture

A4- An over all look from below

A5-  Upper detent plate added/modified
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
This detail is new to me! Now I know!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

New to me as well.  I had to search through the MPC, and can report back that the only variations are with and without console for basic part number 7A306 "Transmission Control Selector Housing Assembly"
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline DougDyar

Can someone enlighten us all as to why the competition suspension option would change the auto tranny shifter? I, too, have never heard of this one.
0F02G203277
June 22, 1970 Dearborn BOSS 302

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Can someone enlighten us all as to why the competition suspension option would change the auto tranny shifter? I, too, have never heard of this one.

Don't know why other than someone decided it was needed.  67 model year has many "funny" unexplained things. There are others that just don't make sense.

One thing on the shifter that I've not been able to confirm is when (how early in the production year) it was introduced. Earliest example I've seen so far is a Feb 67 built car.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
The special shifter was part of the competition suspension package which included the heavy duty sway bar , adjustable shocks ,15 inch high speed rated tires to name the main ones . Since it seems to be about a high performance driving style package the special shifter which allows down shift and up shift alternatives compared to stock would seem to be in keeping with that theme. IMO
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline V8Dave

Hello everyone.
J_Speegle and Bob Gaines once again thank you for the help with regards to photos and information on the shifter set up.
If anyone has anymore photos of this set up in anyway(underneath photos/disassembled/whatever) please could you post them.
I believe i can gauge from the photos i have the size of the plate i need to make for my shifter assembly that is missing just that item.
I read a copy of the mustang times 2018 article that i was lucky a fellow member sent me a copy of and it states in the article that the plate underneath has only two dimples/craters for the spring loaded plunger to contact and its for the 2-D/ D-2 movement and not 3 dimples for 1-2-D as i originally though. Can someone confirm for me that, that is correct.
Many thanks again to all
Kind regards
Dave

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
New to me too. Looks like a modified Ford automatic shift bucket.

Not just found on Shelby Mustangs?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
New to me too. Looks like a modified Ford automatic shift bucket.

Not just found on Shelby Mustangs?
It is part of the competition suspension package option . At least on 67's . That option was rarely ordered on a regular Mustang but the option was part of the base Shelby package.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
How did it work in operation?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion