Author Topic: 1967 289 power steering pump info needed...  (Read 6140 times)

Offline 1967gt350

1967 289 power steering pump info needed...
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:08:56 PM »

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase a complete power steering pump assembly for my Nov. '66  built GT350.  If I could trouble the experts for the correct #'s I am looking for as well as the correct color it should be painted.  Any suggestions for a good source to find one?

Thanks very much...Mark

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 289 power steering pump info needed...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »
       Hello all,

I am looking to purchase a complete power steering pump assembly for my Nov. '66  built GT350.  If I could trouble the experts for the correct #'s I am looking for as well as the correct color it should be painted.  Any suggestions for a good source to find one?

Thanks very much...Mark

Correct color info can be found in the FAQ's #7  http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5.0

Will have to look up the original pump unless someone beats me to it ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 07:58:19 AM »
HBA BH
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 12:12:52 PM »
Mark, to elaborate on the information given by both Jeff and Tim -it is a truck pump and the numbers on the tag indicate besides the color and application also the style of can/ reservoir it used . The correct can used on the 67/68 Shelby's has a bend in the nipple protruding out the back that is different then a standard Mustang . This distinct bend or loop (90 degree?)was most likely to help route the return lines forward to the radiator support located P/S cooler location. Both black (TRW) and blue teal (Ford Thompson) colors of pumps were used on Mustangs destined to become  67 Shelby's. I have seen more black ones then blue /teal ones but it depends on the maker of the pump. I hope this helps  . Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1967gt350

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 01:24:02 PM »

Thanks very much for the guidance.  Now I can pursue one of these pumps knowing what I'm looking for. I certainly wouldn't have known to look for a "truck" pump or what codes to look for.

Thanks again...Mark 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 04:41:16 PM »
The most important thing is the nipple coming out of the can in the back. Rebuilders sometimes don't replace the tag and it is all but unreadable once painted and installed. The nipple however is readily visible and one of the first thing i look at in judging the P/S system. Also keep in mind that reservoirs can be changed between each other if you find a rebuilt pump that has the wrong reservoir can and the right reservoir can on a unknown condition used pump. Many times I have gone to napa warehouse etc. and had them bring me a couple and found the rebuilt pump with the right reservoir can among there stock of applicable pumps so that would be my first place to check. Remember the the 67 GT350 uses the extra large "7AC" marked P/S pulley. Don't let that get away with your core. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1967gt350

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »

Bob, Jeff, & Tim

As luck would have it I do have the 7" pulley but no pump assembly. Would it be possible to post a couple of pictures showing the difference in the pumps (standard Mustang vs. correct GT350) so that if I do find one I'm certain it's the right one.

Thanks again...Mark

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:15:17 AM »
I can get you one later tonight unless someone beats me to it. If you don't care about the tag info the HBA BG pumps seem to be much easier to find and are functionally and physically the same. The way this guy has his picture of the back is hard to tell which way the nipple is going but I think its correct,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-GALAXIE-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-/110666328051?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c43a27f3
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:20:08 AM »
Thanks Tim, if correct the angle of the nipple is toward the driver side apron . One of a number of applications that used that style of pump. Notice the second line of the tag information . The "F" stands for Ford Thompson which would indicate a Blue painted color. FYI  the correct dipstick would have the fluid info stamped on the outside of the pump neck part of the dipstick and the 68/69 style had it on the part of the dipstick that went inside the pump neck. Bob