Author Topic: To restore or not to restore, that is the question  (Read 1293 times)

Offline RichardM68

To restore or not to restore, that is the question
« on: July 06, 2023, 12:24:16 PM »
Since re-purchasing my first car (a 68 FB) 8 months ago I've been returning it to concours (where practical) using parts from salvage yards and online marketplaces.  So far, this has been limited to interior trim and exterior chrome parts.

I'm conflicted as to whether I should restore these parts or not.  My argument for restoring, particularly the pot metal parts, is to prevent further corrosion.  I could acid dip, braze the pits, and bright nickel the part, which would preserve it for a long long time.  My argument for not restoring is that preserving the patina is more "authentic".

For the interior pieces, I could repaint and improve the appearance of scratched/faded parts.  I would be doing so at the expense of that "authentic" look.

Now, before you reply 'do what you prefer', I don't really know what I prefer.  That's why I'm asking.  I'm hoping your replies provide some insights that persuade me one way or another.

P.S.  In the pic... allowing continued corrosion of these original parts bothers me.  There are fewer and fewer around.

Thanks,

-Richard

1968 Fastback J code.  My -exact- first car!  8F02J166xxx.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: To restore or not to restore, that is the question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 02:25:50 PM »
I don't think it's possible to restore a car to concours using parts from salvage yards unless you spend a lot of time on the restoration of those parts. It's usually not possible to do so from most online marketplaces since the NOS parts are really just  later service parts with various improvements that bear only a passing resemblance to assembly line.

You could pay someone over $300 for some NOS outside door handles and then end up with shelf wear handles that have scratches from the years of being moved around. You are money ahead, in some cases, re-chroming original parts. However, the Mustang horse has too many details that would be lost during a re-chrome. 67-68 original rear bumpers (not the later Ford stampings) have details lost to re-chroming due to sanding the base or the copper too deeply. Finding the right chromer who keeps these details is tough and costly. Be ready to lose points on cheap aftermarket crap.

Your situation is similar to what I see amateur race car builders do all the time. They decide to build a race car. They pick "cool"  parts, build the car and then find out they have no venue in which to race since they didn't build the car to a rule book. They end up with a costly mistake that can only be used for Open Track.

Get the MCA rules for all classes and pick the class that makes sense to you. Pick your budget and then build to that class.

Don't get me started on  "patina cars."

« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 06:38:53 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: To restore or not to restore, that is the question
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 06:33:02 PM »
Since re-purchasing my first car (a 68 FB) 8 months ago I've been returning it to concours (where practical) using parts from salvage yards and online marketplaces.  So far, this has been limited to interior trim and exterior chrome parts.......

Seems your goal and focus in on your own individual standard so providing an opinion and guidance is difficult. Not sure what practical to you is but what ever it is, identify it, and measure every choice you make against that goal. Doesn't sound like the end goal is full restoration back to original nor to concours - basically the same thing. Set your limits, don't pretend that its not something else and be proud as well as happy with the results since you set them,  Just an opinion based on what we know at this time from you
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)