Author Topic: Shock tower to master cylinder clearance  (Read 2249 times)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Shock tower to master cylinder clearance
« on: July 07, 2023, 01:35:47 PM »
I am wondering if anyone can provide me with the clearance measurement between the master cylinder and the shock tower on your vehicle that has power brakes.

I am performing some partial reassembly of my signature car, that has power brakes, and I am a little concerned about the 1/4" clearance that currently exists between these two items.

Thank you in advance.
Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Shock tower to master cylinder clearance
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 04:07:06 PM »
I am wondering if anyone can provide me with the clearance measurement between the master cylinder and the shock tower on your vehicle that has power brakes.

I am performing some partial reassembly of my signature car, that has power brakes, and I am a little concerned about the 1/4" clearance that currently exists between these two items.

Thank you in advance.
Mark
Mark,I am guessing the you have a replacement master cylinder that has the nub on the front that sticks out from the master cylinder body. That is because when using a replacement type master with the nub you will have a small clearance between it and the shock tower like you describe.  That nub takes up clearance space between the master and the shock tower. It will work fine and has done so on thousands of cars even with that tight 1/4 or so clearance. If you want more clearance then you will have to find a assemblyline type master cylinder. FYI there are after market replacements out there that don't have that nub sticking out on the end however in the spirit of this forum mission statement it still would not be right. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 07:26:38 PM »
Sorry don't have a 67 to measure but maybe a couple of pictures will help and provide you something to compare to

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 02:08:15 PM »
Thank you both Bob and Jeff. Attached is a picture of the gap. This is the master that came on the car when I received it. My car has had a fair amount of structural work, so that is why I?m test fitting parts. That gap is less than 1/4?. Thanks again.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 05:23:17 PM »
Thank you both Bob and Jeff. Attached is a picture of the gap. This is the master that came on the car when I received it. My car has had a fair amount of structural work, so that is why I?m test fitting parts. That gap is less than 1/4?. Thanks again.
I guessed correctly . That is a replacement master cylinder with the protruding nub on the front side. The assemblyline master cylinder does not have that extra length. I provided a picture that Marcus has posted of assemblyline master cylinders that he sells on his website.  You can compare and see the difference of less length in the front compared to assemblyline. The distance between the front of the assemblyline master cylinder and the shock tower is still relatively close but more clearance then you currently have . With this info you can make a informed decision that is best for your situation.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 05:27:14 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2023, 07:39:54 PM »
I've been using the ones from Dead Nuts On. Not sure what you have there but these work great.

https://www.deadnutson.com/1967-68-mustang-shelby-master-cylinder-with-cap-decal/

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2023, 08:12:49 PM »
The one Dead Nuts On sells will work fine and are a good reproduction replacement IMO.

Offline CandyAppleRed

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 10:02:28 AM »
Hi Mark,

I tried to measure the clearance between the schock tower and the MC. Installed is a correct Midland brake booster and an original bendix master cylinder with  casting number 2227161. I estimate that the clearance is almost 1 inch. I am able to remove only the master cylinder with the booster staying in place. See the pictures.

Laurent
1967 Fastback 390 GTA Dearborn May 67 7F02S201072 (stolen)
1967 Fastback 390 GT San Jose Nov 66

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2023, 02:15:21 PM »
Thank you everyone.

I am having difficulty "seeing" the difference, in the provided pictures, between assembly line and aftermarket master cylinders, with respect to the size of the nub.

However, my plan will be to try to separate the master cylinder from the installed booster, while they are in place. If successful, I will follow the guidance provided and stop worrying...and get back to work.

Thank you for the provided source for the master cylinder.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2023, 03:33:19 PM »
Thank you everyone.

I am having difficulty "seeing" the difference, in the provided pictures, between assembly line and aftermarket master cylinders, with respect to the size of the nub.

However, my plan will be to try to separate the master cylinder from the installed booster, while they are in place. If successful, I will follow the guidance provided and stop worrying...and get back to work.

Thank you for the provided source for the master cylinder.
Your current one sticks out further then the factory style.

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2023, 01:54:09 PM »
I have removed the master cylinder shown in my original post above and cleaned up the area where the part number is and found this. Does this look like:  Z227161/ 4

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2023, 02:10:45 PM »
Giving this a bump. What is the consensus on the number on the bottom of this master cylinder?

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2023, 11:58:59 PM »
Looks to be the correct number. If it's 50 + years old it needs to be rebuilt properly.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2023, 01:26:40 PM »
Thank you.