Author Topic: Seam sealer floor to inner rocker question - 65 Dearborn  (Read 751 times)

Offline jtfx6552

Seam sealer floor to inner rocker question - 65 Dearborn
« on: August 08, 2023, 04:42:20 PM »
Looking for clarification on the library article regarding the seam sealer between the floor and the rocker, when was it applied?

The library article is specifically about SJ, whatever the answer is, was Dearborn the same?

Article here, I'm asking about what is shown on page 9 https://concoursmustang.com/speegle/Articles/65/65%20San%20Jose%20UnderCMF-2019v8.pdf

« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 06:55:18 PM by J_Speegle »
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Seam sealer floor to inner rocker question - 65 Dearborn
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 05:39:10 PM »
Do you have a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals for your car's year? Much of what you are asking about is documented there, at least what design engineering's intent was. Any pictures will show what was done on the assembly line many years after.
Jim
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 06:56:17 PM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 06:12:05 PM »
I have the Osbourne manuals, they show the seam sealer location, but not when it was applied.

I thought it was before the undercarriage paint so that it would be covered in undercarriage color, body color overspray and pinch weld blackout (to a limited extent).

There was a 65 Shelby on BAT that showed it as if it was one of the last things applied. Shelby's are obviously SJ as well as the subject car for the library article.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-shelby-mustang-gt350-9/

I also looked at the unrestored pictures thread, but based on the colors of those cars and wear over the years it was hard to tell.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 06:55:56 PM by J_Speegle »
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 06:32:39 PM »
I have the Osbourne manuals, they show the seam sealer location, but not when it was applied.

I thought it was before the undercarriage paint so that it would be covered in undercarriage color, body color overspray and pinch weld blackout (to a limited extent).

There was a 65 Shelby on BAT that showed it as if it was one of the last things applied. Shelby's are obviously SJ as well as the subject car for the library article.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-shelby-mustang-gt350-9/

I also looked at the unrestored pictures thread, but based on the colors of those cars and wear over the years it was hard to tell.
It was done after the underside paint was applied but before the pinch weld black out was done.This is a consistent observation from 65-69 at least on the many Shelby's built at various plants over that time frame that are my field of interest.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 06:55:37 PM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 06:54:33 PM »
Looking for clarification on the library article regarding the seam sealer between the floor and the rocker, when was it applied?

The library article is specifically about SJ, whatever the answer is, was Dearborn the same?

Guess, since you didn't specify that your asking about and for 1965 Dearborn cars. As Bob mentioned this was applied after the body and undercarriage surfaces were painted. I've included a few unrestored examples below to show the range of typically applied sealant. Basically it ranged from 50/50% on the edge of the rocker and the underside of the floor panel to 20/80% with the majority on the floor section. Just depended on how the worker spread it out with the solvent soaked rag but more often than not, the majority is found on the floor section.

Hope this helps

Will move this over to the 65 section since we're focusing on one year only in the thread ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 01:08:40 PM »
Thanks!

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 03:32:38 PM »
What I have noticed is that the Osbourne Assembly Manuals have an assembly line sequence as part of the Ford drawing number. If you look at the lower right hand portion of most drawing, there is a drawing number consisting of the responsible engineering area, "E" = Electrical, "N" = Body, "W" = Weld & Sealant, "T" = Interior, Chassis and Engine Accessories are the exception. The next part of the drawing number is the year, a dash, then a four digit sequence number.
The item number on each page is also an assembly sequence number.
In the first few pages of many assembly manuals are instruction on how to do specific tasks. Applying sealant is there.
Spend some time reading each assembly manual. I recommend the paper version so you can make notes. For example, on many pages of my 66 Electrical manual are the locations of where the wiring harness label is located along with the color of the label, it's material and color of the printing.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2023, 04:35:28 PM »
Here?s a pretty decent shot of the seam sealer on my 6/64 Dearborn car. No overspray from the pinch weld since it was brushed and there?s no sign of any white body overspray on the sealant, though it was mostly masked by the pinch weld flange.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5