Author Topic: Trunk Adhesive Details - Dearborn May 64  (Read 881 times)

Offline Corey Bowcutt

Trunk Adhesive Details - Dearborn May 64
« on: August 29, 2023, 11:34:15 AM »
Just beginning work on my project 65.5 convertible.  The trunk has a lot of mustard colored adhesive all over.  Was this factory or PO applied?  Also, I see gaffers tape over the tooling holes above the frame rails.  Was this factory?

Thank you,

Corey
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 01:25:59 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Trunk Adhesive Details
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 12:06:04 PM »
Could possibly be original, would look at how it's applied... over/under paint.  Tape over the trunk floor holes is a little unusual.

What's the scheduled build date of the car?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Corey Bowcutt

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 02:02:18 PM »
It is a 12E car which I believe is May 12th.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 02:08:59 PM »
I don't know about 64 1/2 but in later years the adhesive was applied all over at the factory to secure the trunk mat down.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 05:16:39 PM »
Just beginning work on my project 65.5 convertible.  The trunk has a lot of mustard colored adhesive all over.  Was this factory or PO applied?  Also, I see gaffers tape over the tooling holes above the frame rails.  Was this factory?
Which factory?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Corey Bowcutt

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 06:52:59 PM »
Dearborn MI

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Trunk Adhesive Details - Dearborn May 64
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 01:25:09 AM »

That would likely be your 64 1/2 convertible ;)

The tape over the rear most dolly tie downs is unusual and not what is usually seen there. Normally we have the rubber plugs in each. Looked at original examples built before and after your cars likely completion date to compare. After looking at pictures of unrestored Mustangs built around the same time period and plant it appears that Dearborn had some problems getting those plugs or were instructed to use the tape in those locations based on my findings. A couple of examples below.  Very unusual and not something we would not normally expect but with yours we have a sampling that supports the practice

The use of spray adhesive under the trunk mat was a common practice at all plants into 1970 production. With that said and after looking at other cars, same plant and production period they have ALLOT less adhesive but maybe the worker got carried away allot on your car for some reason or the tip of the applicator came off so he just did what he could. Believe that something took place like that as it appears to be the same adhesive and sprayed in the same areas and pattern just allot more of it . Examples again below

First a very nice unrestored convertible from the production period that matches your's as best we can currently know. With a VIN of 5F1356xx. Much lighter application of adhesive but basically same pattern

Another example from the production period approx 5F13000 or possibly 5F12500 or so to maybe 5F140000 In this example again a thin adhesive pattern and what looks to be evidence of possibly what remains of black tape as used elsewhere on these cars. VIN 5F1376x

This example is shown in the Unrestored Section of the site. The car has been repainted at one point and some black rattle can also in the trunk. This may have coated over the factory adhesive we're discussing. The interesting thing that ties it to this thread is the use of tape over the dolly holes. We know what we see (silver duct tape it appears) was place over the holes after some painting, but why. If the plugs were there there would be no need and if there had been tape there before did the peron just remove what was there and reapply what they had found. Car fits the production period or just before with a VIN of FF1279xx

And lastly an example possibly after this practice so that we can start to look at when they stopped using the tape and went back to the rubber plugs and it also shows a better and closer look at the spray adhesive application on the drivers side at least. VIN is 5F1512

Corey Bowcutt:
It would be interesting to know your cars sequential number or at least the first four digits

So that is what I found in my labeled picture files. May have more but won't know until I check there

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 01:42:27 AM »

That would likely be your 64 1/2 convertible ;)

The tape over the rear most dolly tie downs is unusual and not what is usually seen there. Normally we have the rubber plugs in each. Looked at original examples built before and after your cars likely completion date to compare. After looking at pictures of unrestored Mustangs built around the same time period and plant it appears that Dearborn had some problems getting those plugs or were instructed to use the tape in those locations based on my findings. A couple of examples below.  Very unusual and not something we would not normally expect but with yours we have a sampling that supports the practice

The use of spray adhesive under the trunk mat was a common practice at all plants into 1970 production. With that said and after looking at other cars, same plant and production period they have ALLOT less adhesive but maybe the worker got carried away allot on your car for some reason or the tip of the applicator came off so he just did what he could. Believe that something took place like that as it appears to be the same adhesive and sprayed in the same areas and pattern just allot more of it . Examples again below

First a very nice unrestored convertible from the production period that matches your's as best we can currently know. With a VIN of 5F1356xx. Much lighter application of adhesive but basically same pattern

Jeff I think it would be prudent to add that the gas tank on the unrestored convertible has been replaced so someone reading now or later doesn't get the idea theirs should have the stencil and the paper label even though that is not the subject of discussion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 01:45:52 AM »
Jeff I think it would be prudent to add that the gas tank on the unrestored convertible has been replaced so someone reading now or later doesn't get the idea theirs should have the stencil and the paper label even though that is not the subject of discussion.

Yes saw that and meant to mention it in my post but it got overlooked with all the other things - writing and cropping/posting the pictures. Thanks for the back up  :) Yes its very apparent the gas tank was replaced
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2023, 01:57:24 AM »
It takes a village  :D .

Offline Corey Bowcutt

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2023, 07:13:03 AM »
Thank you all for the replies.  This helps a lot.  My car is 5F08F132684.  It appears to me to be a very original car with very little to no rust.  It has had what appears to be 2 repaints to different color blues.  My fuel tank is also a replacement with the PO painting the top surface black.  But the rest of the trunk looks so unmolested.

Corey

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2023, 05:53:00 PM »
Thank you all for the replies.  This helps a lot.  My car is 5F08F132684.  It appears to me to be a very original car with very little to no rust..............

Looks like your car is likely right in that production period when Dearborn was likely IMHO using the tape for those holes. Since your car look original or at least has many original details left would be interested if the dolly holes on the front floor board were covered with tape also or with the typical rubber plugs.

May I suggest that you place some information about your car in your signature so that every time you post we know when and where your car was built. Keeps us from having to ask for that info before we can focus on answers for you. Take a look at what others have done for examples ;)
Jeff Speegle