Author Topic: Trunk Latch Spring?????  (Read 782 times)

Offline Corey Bowcutt

Trunk Latch Spring?????
« on: August 31, 2023, 08:37:41 AM »
I disassembled the trunk latch on my 64.5 May Dearborn car and am confused by a spring that was attached.  The latch is clearly not an original latch.  The spring has a very home made hook/extension added to it.  I looked in the Assembly Manual and see no reference to this spring at all.  Should there be a spring attached to this tab on the latch? If not any theories as to why the PO would add such a thing?

Thank you,

Corey

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Trunk Latch Spring?????
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 09:01:18 AM »
definitely not factory. only one reason i can think of for it to be there is someone may have had a remote trunk release installed....any remnants of that. any holes leftover anywhere?
5F09C331248

Offline Corey Bowcutt

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 09:23:45 AM »
Thank you.  I was guessing it should not be there.  No there is no evidence of any extra holes at all.

So there should be nothing attached to this tab correct?

Corey

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 10:53:29 AM »
The latch is not original either, looks like a reproduction.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 05:54:38 PM »
The latch is not original either, looks like a reproduction.

+1  Plus it looks like the internal spring broke so someone added the exterior spring to make things work again
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 01:33:42 PM »
I know exactly why they did this as I'm doing something similar on my modified car.
The L to which the spring is attached on the latch is probably for the optional interior lever style trunk release.

If you use a bowden cable that is attached to either a lever, like the optional interior lever style, or a pull solenoid you have the issue of stretching/breaking the cable or pulling the cable through its mounting clip. This is because it's hard to figure out how to build a stop or adjust the cable length just short of when the latch stop comes into play. If you don't build in a cable stop you will continue to pull on the L shaped pull built into the trunk latch, bending it, breaking the cable or pulling the cable sheath loose from its mount.

Instead, you could opt for an inline spring so that as the trunk latch hits the built in latch stop the spring will stretch instead of breaking or bending things.

I'm using a 40 pound pull solenoid so I had to design a very accurate way of adjusting things to prevent damage.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 01:36:13 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion