Author Topic: 1970 gt500 trunk emission  (Read 9748 times)

Offline 1970shelbyguy

1970 gt500 trunk emission
« on: January 02, 2012, 11:32:50 PM »
 hello everybody and a happy new year - hunted and gathered everything i believe is correct for my 70 gt500 dso'd to hayward motors california.  all parts found are off 1970 mustangs.  including two tanks . my car has the smaller mounting  holes and the bigger hole on left side top of  trunk.  wondering if it should have the bracket that was welded to the inner and outer wheelhouse  joint and painted body color . it holds one part of the vapor components-  mine is missing- could have been  buzzed off when it was painted in 1985 or maybe the 69 to 70 carryover 500's didn't have the bracket at all.  don't see any evidence of cutting  any info would be greatly appreciated.  applied the dark gray batch paint underneath a few days ago.  thanks   david   #3131 grabber blue  also own a 71 j code sportsroof  non mach1
1970 gt500  grabber blue  june/69     1970  boss 302  metuchen  dec/69

Offline specialed

Re: 1970 gt500 trunk emission
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »
David i only seen 1 70 shelby with evap 70 CA emission in it years ago at shop in central CA. It was all added there in CA probably buy the selling dealer and i would say all unsold 69s in CA. were dealer changeovers for 70 sales.The 70s that went to kk plant for changeovers may have been done by ford there if they were going to CA. I worked on a early 70 b9 that i think was a test car for CA emissions because it went to NY. It had the bracket bare steel and 3 rivets holding it to wheelhouse for supporting that black plastic part of vapor thing. Your car never would have had the bracket painted and spotwelded to wheelhouse as that didnt start till 70 on the assembly line. I would install it like a ford dealer would have had to add it in order to sell for 70 model year.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 04:28:05 PM »
David i only seen 1 70 shelby with evap 70 CA emission in it years ago at shop in central CA. It was all added there in CA probably buy the selling dealer and i would say all unsold 69s in CA. were dealer changeovers for 70 sales.The 70s that went to kk plant for changeovers may have been done by ford there if they were going to CA. I worked on a early 70 b9 that i think was a test car for CA emissions because it went to NY. It had the bracket bare steel and 3 rivets holding it to wheelhouse for supporting that black plastic part of vapor thing. Your car never would have had the bracket painted and spotwelded to wheelhouse as that didnt start till 70 on the assembly line. I would install it like a ford dealer would have had to add it in order to sell for 70 model year.
+1 . As much as I hate to admit it  :o. Seriously Spec Ed is the foremost authority on 69/70 Shelby's in my book. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:10:05 PM »
thanks for the info- i thought after posting the first note the vapor stuff could have been dealer installed.  car was produced june 16/69  and released same day -actually sold 12/11/69   warren anderson ford  riverside calif  was the dealer-  dec 11/69  pretty late sale !   zipped out to garage and sure enough there's two holes about half way up the wheelhouse.  suppose the bracket was pop rivited to the w/house.  happen to know if bracket used is similar to those used on the fact 70 calif cars. if so i can scrounge  around for one either on ebay or find one in a wrecking yard. . bare steel ?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 09:17:46 PM »
I've found one of the brackets (one that would have been attached to the body) bare and the other one back by the taillight semi gloss black

Here are a few pictures of a pretty original car to illustrate. Haven't seen rivets used to attach the bare steel bracket (only screws) but since
dealers just needed to figure out a way to attach them its one of the option they would have

Have seen a fair number of these out this way ;)

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »
trying to post proper pic

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »
thanks for posting those pics.  only a mustang nut would appreciate a surface rusted bracket!  in a trunk no less!  my friend and myself are heading down to palm springs the week of Barret Jackson and we plan to "take a look" also intend to checkout a mustang wrecker in riverside.  i'm sure mr speegle knows of it.  i'll keep my eye out for the couple of trunk components i need to complete the puzzle.  just don't want to fill in those holes in trunk -  thanks again   david

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:41:44 PM »
Now here are some pictures of the brackets found on a 70 Mustang equipped with the evap system

Not sure what they did under the car to hold these items in place - sorry

Also on Mustangs and Cougars another bracket was welded to the floor to attach the large painted black plate to the floor

Here is a shot of the wheel well bracket. Pretty sure (like the headlight brackets for the splash shields) Ford supplied the separate brackets to dealers for the change over.

Here is a Mustang

Not sure but a Cougar might have used the same bracket but can not be sure without both in hand to compare

OF course on a show car we would expect a rust free bracket. Just strip it and oil it as you would with a phosphate and oil part.

And Dave - its just Jeff ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 09:51:06 PM »
Ok a little more checking and it appears that like the wheel house bracket that was welded to the Mustang the lower bracket was also simply attached to the floor also.

Sorry for pictures of a poorly restored car (bracket and mounting screws painted body color) but it does illustrate how it was attached

Another bracket for you to hunt up. If you find it you'll want to grab the charcoal canister and brackets if you can find them also

Your going to have fun removing the welded brackets and repairing the edges to look like they were never welded.

Have fun ;)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:53:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 12:30:43 AM »
1970 shelby guy its been years ago that i worked on car that had wheelhouse bracket added and it may have been riveted in only 2 places as there are 2 holes and the other hole to the rite of the 2 wheelhouse holes on the flat area was probably the hole for antenna strap screw that dealer installed as i have seen them there. Jeff looks like sept 15 dated evap housing also going to be hard to figure out the rest of the holes for the lines and how it all hooks up under hood any photos of that? I know the valve on rear frame rail dodz# and you are going to need to get 70 a/c base with the black tube to hook paper tube to canister.

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 12:38:08 AM »
thanks jeff for the quick pics.  looks like i should leave my clubs at home and just head down south with my sawzall in hand-  if i find a car with the now two brackets i need i'll do my darndest to remove them.   again thanks jeff for showing your restored 69 blk jade gt350 in seattle a couple of yrs ago -   david

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 12:53:13 AM »
the two holes are on the pinch welded inner and outer wheelhouse  the third hole is on the curved part of inner wheelhouse it held the ground screw wire for trunk light . might be wrong but it did have the wire attached to it prior to me taking things apart.  car had a replacement rear antenna. purchased a correct  300 style antenna how does the strap attach?  i'll have to get one of those .  have the air cleaner that has the notch in it for the flexible tube from cannister. i'll have to get the vapor line. does it run up the tunnel or does it run up the pass side near floor/rocker pinch welds.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 03:04:10 AM »
.............. Jeff looks like sept 15 dated evap housing also going to be hard to figure out the rest of the holes for the lines and how it all hooks up under hood any photos of that?.............

Only hole that I can recall is the single hole under the vents and traps. Only one hose exits there and travels to the front of the car where it attaches to the canister. This is a hard plastic (of some form) hose, a metal line and finally (at canister end) a small fuel line. The second hose from the canister (the paper wrapped corrugated one) attaches the canister to the air cleaner.

IF he removed everything as a unit there will be only one hose to attach I believe

.................car had a replacement rear antenna. purchased a correct  300 style antenna how does the strap attach?

On the two examples I found pictures of there appeared to be no strap. Looks like there might have been too much going on to weave it through. Might examine your car for the mounting holes for the bracket or an extra one that might have been made for a strap. Just a thought

I'll have to get one of those .  have the air cleaner that has the notch in it for the flexible tube from canister. I'll have to get the vapor line. does it run up the tunnel or does it run up the pass side near floor/rocker pinch welds.

Not a notch but a round whole with a couple of "wings" to hold the plastic nipple (nipple rotates locking it to the base) to the air cleaner base.

If you can find a donor car the best bet IMHO is to remove the attachment from the top of the tank, the plastic vents and tanks  as well as the somewhat short plastic hose to the valve mounted to the frame rail as a unit. No problem having to try and reattach everything

If you currently  has no vapor return parts, you will need the long hard steel line from the engine compartment to the valve at the rear frame with all the attaching straps is they will be made for holding two lines rather than a smaller single brake line alone.

Believe the canister is the same but the mounting bracket may vary with application - not sure. So you should grab what ever you  find at this point ;)

again thanks jeff for showing your restored 69 blk jade gt350 in seattle a couple of yrs ago -   

Not my car but I'm glad you like the car - hopefully you saw some things that will help you in restoration
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 09:46:54 AM »
morning jeff-  yes a/c has the hole with wings for rotating plastic tube.  i'll get under car at left frame rail to check for any rogue holes.  maybe because it's a dealer added vapor system the btm bracket was not welded to floor i'll test fit the one long blk metal bracket i have to see if holes line up with what's on pan currently.  does vapor line run up the tunnel or does it zip up the pass side rocker.  hopefully i'll find some examples when down in calif recommend any good yards to search ?  david

Offline specialed

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 12:44:22 PM »
1970 shelby guy didnt know if you had fastback or convert as the extra hole on wheelhouse could have been for ground wire for trunk lite since fastback decklid is all fiberglass and convert has metal bottom skin so they dont need ground wire . they may not have used antenna strap on ca emission car as nowhere to attach it. I have seen lower antenna strap mounted several different ways depending on the dealer since they installed it at pre-delivery. Did they cut hole in side of your 69 air-cleaner or did they use a  70 air-cleaner that had the hole already there with plug and a plastic elbow for hose to breather cap as a 69 used metal elbow there?