Author Topic: AMK Hardware Is Not As Good As It Used To Be -  (Read 1356 times)

Offline jwc66k

AMK Hardware Is Not As Good As It Used To Be -
« on: August 13, 2013, 07:41:02 PM »
First a disclaimer or two:
- I use AMK a source for hardware, and will continue to do so, but selectively.
- The pictures are from a 66 Body Master Kit that another party bought a few years back and is just now getting around to use on the car. Returns of these, and other hardware items, would be past any reasonable time limit.
Pic 1 - These bolts were in the master body kit for use, I believe, on the shock tower (8 each side). These "substitutes" bolts appear to be used by Chrysler; note the tip which is not the typical lead point tip used by Ford, and note the grade 5.1 marking on the head. Grade 5.1 hardware was used by Ford after 1966.   
Pic 2 - 355471-S8, the carriage bolt used on 64 thru 66 before 3/1/66 would not fit, specifically the square under the head spun in the slot on the shock tower. Note the "flat" head. These are standard steel, not stainless.
Pic 3 - These are some of the correct carriage bolts, 355471-S8, I pulled from my stock, for comparison.
Note - After 3/1/66, a different carriage bolt and nut were used, 378940-S8 and 34661-S8, with 5/16-18 threads.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.