Author Topic: dearborn body buck tag  (Read 3023 times)

Offline 1970shelbyguy

dearborn body buck tag
« on: November 29, 2014, 12:00:08 PM »
did the 69/70 shelbys  have a body buck tag when sent to ao smith? and if tagged did ao smith remove the tag or mount it in a different spot? mine's a 70 so possibly if tagged it was removed because serial number was changed?  if they had a tag where was it mounted ( mine's missing)
1970 gt500  grabber blue  june/69     1970  boss 302  metuchen  dec/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: dearborn body buck tag
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 06:10:58 PM »
Part of the fun fielding questions here is that I don't only have to answer the question, I've got to find a picture or two to illustrate the answer - well mot of the time ;)

Normal location  of a 69 Dearborn buck tag

Appears that this (pretty original car) 70 Shelby's is still in that location

hard to make out (black on black) but if you look real close you can see the edge of the tag as it sticks out from under the fender bracket

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 08:16:33 PM »
The tags were typically removed . They unscrewed leaving only the hole most of the time , they were unceremoniously ripped off leaving the screw and a portion of metal from the torn tag sometimes , and the least common from what I have seen was left in place (maybe slightly moved ) while the fender was attached .On unmolested cars you can sometimes see the witness line of unpainted metal from where the painted tag was slightly moved when Smith installed the fenders. They were in the way many times which is why the variations. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 09:58:11 PM »
Bob- thanks for the clarification. Looking at my post it does seem to suggest "all" kept them when instead its the unusual one that did :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 10:46:12 PM »
Bob- thanks for the clarification. Looking at my post it does seem to suggest "all" kept them when instead its the unusual one that did :)
I really didn't read "all" into the post but thought a few may assume that and wanted to offer some alternate variations to round out the info just in case.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 11:02:08 PM »
thanks guys-   i see the little screw hole on mine   - at least i can save that money for something else needed! 
1970 gt500  grabber blue  june/69     1970  boss 302  metuchen  dec/69

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 05:22:59 PM »
I think you'll find it was more early cars that had them. Should be bare metal patch where it used to be on removed ones
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline specialed

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 09:47:29 PM »
yes first 100 or so tags got left on  & vinman has  p ic of the upper fiberglass headlite bucket screw going thru the tag left on an early 69 Shelby as that is why tag was removed as it was in the way for installing fiberglass bucket on rh side.   jeff s  it looks like screw hole in your red Shelby pic don't have tag attached to me as the small hole from buck tag panhead screw is empty.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 10:52:12 PM »
.........  jeff s  it looks like screw hole in your red Shelby pic don't have tag attached to me as the small hole from buck tag panhead screw is empty.

Believe that like many/most of the 69 production the screw is located under the fender. This is that red 500 that we all looked at during SAAC a couple of years. Was located between the hotel and show area at the end of the row in the middle of the driveway
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 12:25:24 AM »
looks like the screw hole at 12 oclock of the rubber hood bumper  & Shelby used that 2 bolt silver shield that holds plastic splash shield & on your red Shelby pic it is mounted  on back side rad support.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 02:15:03 AM »
. Shelby used that 2 bolt silver shield that holds plastic splash shield & on your red Shelby pic it is mounted  on back side rad support.

Yes understand the plate and location - not sure what it holding it in place - wish the pictures were clearer - blowup from a general picture of the area.

Not a big deal considering we've had confirmation that some got by the AO Smith workers

Will look to see if I have a better picture of that particular area
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 01:14:35 PM »
Yes understand the plate and location - not sure what it holding it in place - wish the pictures were clearer - blowup from a general picture of the area.

Not a big deal considering we've had confirmation that some got by the AO Smith workers

Will look to see if I have a better picture of that particular area
try this possible scenario- fender was installed and sometime later a inspector ,past owner etc. saw the tag and thought by taking the screw out that the tag would be able to be removed . After the screw was taken out it became apparent the tag was being held by fender structure . The screw was never screwed back in. I know this has scenario has happened at least once because I was a past owner in a similar scenario years ago with a car I previously owned except I replaced the screw when I couldn't get the tag off to read. ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 01:38:02 PM »
the pan head phillips self starting screw that held the buck tag on wasn't always in the exact same place depending on the guy installing it since there wasn't a hole for it to start they are always in that same area but the exact location did vary according to the guy installing it but if you have a Dearborn car the hole will be there even if the tag was removed or not.  I have inspected69-70 Dearborn cars in the past & had tag missing & couldn't find the screw hole & after looking closer found out the rad support had been changed & the ford service replacement wouldn't have had the bucktag hole & the guy back then installing it never bothered to replace it & was probably done back in the 70s when nobody cared.