Author Topic: 1967 - 1968 Fastback - Package Tray, Non Fold-down  (Read 11439 times)

Offline tlvenne

1967 - 1968 Fastback - Package Tray, Non Fold-down
« on: January 04, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »
I am sure this has been brought up, but I can't find any of the info I am looking for.

I am looking for photo's and/or direction of how the rear seat package tray is assembled in a 1967-1968 fastback. I can't seem to find details or a pics anywhere. For this being a standard, non upgrade option, they don't seem to be very standard in them anymore! My rear interior is essentially missing and I am trying to figure out if i should install a fold down seat assembly ($$$) or the non foldown. I am 90% sure the car originally came with a non-foldown, but I can't find examples online anywhere that will help me know what parts I need to acquire.
Thanks for all the help, and I love the site!
1967 - Mustang Fastback - Metuchen
C-Code - Automatic

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 - 1968 Fastback - Package Tray, Non Fold-down
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 11:36:57 AM »
to know for sure get a marti report. http://www.martiauto.com
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »
Get a set of Osborn produced Mustang Assembly Manuals for your year car. What you seek is on page 47 of the body manual. From that page, you can see what items you need and how it goes together. Acquiring the parts is the difficult part.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 05:35:52 PM »
Fair number of differences between the fold down and non fold down in 67-68

Trap door is more of a single sheet of metal rather than having a face and a rear liner. The total panel is slightly larger also as shown in the picture (ignore the carpeted rear panel and the speaker screw holes)

A section of painted masonite replaced the rear panel (compared to the carpeted and trim metal panel used on fold downs) Please ignore the PO added speakers and vents :(

Side seat latches were replaced with a single L shaped bracket on each side bolted to the rear seat section to keep it upright

On the later 67 and 68 fastbacks a latch cover was made that is different from the fold down style

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tlvenne

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 12:07:04 PM »
Jeff, You're the best! I really appreciate these and they are exactly what I need.

I have seen two latch plate styles as well, one has more of an outward shape to it. Shown installed in one of the photo's. The other is more flat, shown in the photo of the lone latch plate. Guidance on when/why those were changed?

Another question, I can't identify what is the piece at the bottom of the trap door. Anyone help? Some pics show a gap (missing piece I presume) and others show it. Like many of the small pieces, I am guessing this will be the hard part to track down and I will need to begin my hunt for it. I just need to know what exactly it is called.
C-Code - Automatic

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 07:45:58 PM »
Jeff, You're the best! I really appreciate these and they are exactly what I need.

I have seen two latch plate styles as well, one has more of an outward shape to it. Shown installed in one of the photo's. The other is more flat, shown in the photo of the lone latch plate. Guidance on when/why those were changed?

Yes noticed that also (flat verses with the bump) also the very early may have had no covers and small cut off's like the fold down style. Not enough non-fold downs at this point to figure out when the change or why (plant to plant) yet. If you had included when and where the car was built we could at least have looked closer at cars close to the same date as yours and same plant  ;)

Another question, I can't identify what is the piece at the bottom of the trap door. Anyone help? Some pics show a gap (missing piece I presume) and others show it. Like many of the small pieces, I am guessing this will be the hard part to track down and I will need to begin my hunt for it. I just need to know what exactly it is called.
[/quote]

The small trim edge at the bottom kept the panel from being bent (no hinges at the top) forward of the owner detached it at the bottom

Not sure if it has a "name" but will look at some other pictures to see if its a separate piece and other details

Jeff Speegle

Offline preaction

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 09:04:38 PM »
Jeff do you know what percentage of 68's came with a fold down seat ? Your pics above is the first non fold down I have seen.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 09:46:43 PM »
tlvenne Checked and I don't have a clear picture of that lower edge to determine if its welded or attached in another way to the bottom edge of the filler panel that covers over the trap door opening  :(

All I found was a fairly close up picture of the two panels together in the trunk of a nice unrestored 68 San Jose example

Jeff do you know what percentage of 68's came with a fold down seat ? Your pics above is the first non fold down I have seen.

According to Ford's records care of Kevin Marti's MUSTANG BY THE NUMBERS  more than half of the 68 fastback production had non-fold down rear seats.

Out of 42,579 fastbacks only 20,947 of the buyers paid extra to get a fold down rear seat. Of course your seeing the results of allot of prior owners and "restorers" opting to add this option to their non-fold down cars
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:48:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline CT428CJ

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 10:05:04 PM »
The lower formed piece is spot welded to the upper section.

There are also at least two different mounting hole configurations for the Masonite piece. One that has holes arranged to mount to the pads over the shock mount crossmember and the other with holes around the perimeter.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 10:24:06 PM »
There are also at least two different mounting hole configurations for the Masonite piece. One that has holes arranged to mount to the pads over the shock mount crossmember and the other with holes around the perimeter.

Which plant for which pattern(s) and or is it related to production year?

Don't recall seeing any of the perimeter screw examples so asking - All my non fold down pictures have the few away from the edges
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:29:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline CT428CJ

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 10:27:08 PM »
The perimeter pattern is for Dearborn built 68.

Late, as in 68 1/2.

I have no idea about the center style.

I'll get some photos & post them.

Offline tlvenne

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 01:33:46 AM »
J_Speegle Mine is a late '67 Metuchen built. Sorry I didn't denote that build. As far as the latch plates, mine are more of the 'flat' ones, not the one with the bump out or just a cut out in the my rear panel. No guaruntee the are original to the car though.

So what I am concluding is, I'll need to find the non-fold down filler panel where the trap door is on the fold downs, and hopefully it will have that trim piece still attached. Welded or bolted, I'll be lucky to just find it.

Given that non fold downs are about 50% of all '67, they seem harder to come by. It seems like they produce everything for the fold-down assembly, and not parts of the non fold down, so most resto's have converted them to the fold down feature.

Another photo' request if it is readly availible, does someone have a photo of the back side of the filler panel, from the trunk? I am curious what they look like on the back side and how they are different from the trap door.
C-Code - Automatic

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 01:51:44 AM »
J_Speegle Mine is a late '67 Metuchen built. Sorry I didn't denote that build. As far as the latch plates, mine are more of the 'flat' ones, not the one with the bump out or just a cut out in the my rear panel. No guaruntee the are original to the car though.

So what I am concluding is, I'll need to find the non-fold down filler panel where the trap door is on the fold downs, and hopefully it will have that trim piece still attached. Welded or bolted, I'll be lucky to just find it.

You'll also need a masonite panel or a pattern for the filler between the (what on FD are trap doors) and the back of the seat

Given that non fold downs are about 50% of all '67, they seem harder to come by. It seems like they produce everything for the fold-down assembly, and not parts of the non fold down, so most resto's have converted them to the fold down feature.

The numbers above and the question was for 68 fold downs verses non fold downs. in 67 it's about approx 40-50% of the cars got  non fold downs to fold downs (the book has a typo that either makes the total number of fold down cars either in the 25 thousand or 35 thousand out of approx 71 thousand fastbacks

Another photo' request if it is readly availible, does someone have a photo of the back side of the filler panel, from the trunk? I am curious what they look like on the back side and how they are different from the trap door.

Unlike the trap door which has a face and back (trunk side) panels that are pinched around the edge this is a single piece of sheet metal that makes up 90 plus percent of the filler

Jeff Speegle

Offline CT428CJ

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 02:01:13 PM »
Photo of Masonite filler panel attached

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 04:38:57 PM »
Here's a closeup look at the texture of the panel from my '68 SJ. The back side is unpainted, except for the lines and blotches. It appears that they were painted by running through a roller system, and random blobs of paint on the pressure roller(s) caused the pattern on the back.

I can't vouch for the originality of the holes - mine might have some "extras".
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.