Author Topic: 1967 - 1968 Fastback - Package Tray, Non Fold-down  (Read 11437 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 - 1968 Fastback - Package Tray, Non Fold-down
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 07:11:57 PM »
Pretty much the same material and possibly source as the coupe interior package trays and the trunk/spare tire boards
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 04:22:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline preaction

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 09:00:57 PM »
Jeff, I don't see the latch so Ill ask would the latch usually mounted in the trunk to hold the trap door closed just be omitted and no other changes for the installation of one of these panels ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2018, 10:01:44 PM »
Jeff, I don't see the latch so Ill ask would the latch usually mounted in the trunk to hold the trap door closed just be omitted and no other changes for the installation of one of these panels ?

Not sure if I fully understand the question. No standard bottom center latch like used on the fold down cars. No place to attach it to. No hinges, no bar that holds the trap door open or things like that
Jeff Speegle

Offline preaction

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2018, 10:10:20 PM »
My mistake as I wrote this I was thinking the latch was mounted below the trap door and was pushed up to engage the door, the latch is correctly mounted to the trap door and pushed down to engage thanks for the response. After spending 3 days at Fords at Carlisle and trying to hunt one car equipped like this (non fold down ) there was one and the installation was a butcher job.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 09:36:22 PM »
Due to other action on the fold-down front, I thought I'd dig through some parts as I recalled tearing into a non-fold-down many eons ago.
All of these parts came from the same car. I believe it was a 68.

In this pic, starting at top left is the pax bracket, driver's side and the two brackets.

Do these parts make sense for that application?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2019, 11:26:58 PM »
Due to other action on the fold-down front, I thought I'd dig through some parts as I recalled tearing into a non-fold-down many eons ago.
All of these parts came from the same car. I believe it was a 68.

In this pic, starting at top left is the pax bracket, driver's side and the two brackets.

Do these parts make sense for that application?

No - Don't believe so

Doesn't look like the bracket will fit through the "latch" cover on the passenger side. On other examples I have latch covers with the slot installed on both sides of the car in back. As shown in picture #3 of reply #3

Examples I have of both 67 and 68 don't have the provision on the passenger side for the latch - smaller longer cut out and no provision for the handle on top on non-fold down cars

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 11:29:37 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline CandyAppleRed

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2021, 05:49:41 PM »
I?ve been looking for information on fixed rear seat fastback for a long time, since I want to convert my fastback back to factory specs, which is without the sportsdeck rear seat.
It took a while to gather all the required parts, especially to find a decent rear interior panel panel.

Regarding the package tray, I also noticed two different hole pattern. More confusing are some observations in other forums about a piece of plywood that should support the masonite board.

Here a few pictures I found online and a link to a document with measurements on the website of Dan (Glazier Nolan).

https://cdn.website.thryv.com/7fc8b09813234ba0b3c5e3c0a1b8c109/files/uploaded/1967-1968-Mustang-Fastback-non-fold-down-rear.pdf

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/1967-non-fold-down-seat.614344/#post-3988510

Neither the illustraion manual nor the assembly manual depicts this piece of plywood.

Was the masonite package tray really mounted directly on the body brackets?

Laurent
1967 Fastback 390 GTA Dearborn May 67 7F02S201072 (stolen)
1967 Fastback 390 GT San Jose Nov 66

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2021, 08:23:58 PM »
I?ve been looking for information on fixed rear seat fastback for a long time, since I want to convert my fastback back to factory specs, which is without the sportsdeck rear seat.
It took a while to gather all the required parts, especially to find a decent rear interior panel panel.

Regarding the package tray, I also noticed two different hole pattern. More confusing are some observations in other forums about a piece of plywood that should support the masonite board.

Here a few pictures I found online and a link to a document with measurements on the website of Dan (Glazier Nolan).

https://cdn.website.thryv.com/7fc8b09813234ba0b3c5e3c0a1b8c109/files/uploaded/1967-1968-Mustang-Fastback-non-fold-down-rear.pdf

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/1967-non-fold-down-seat.614344/#post-3988510

Neither the illustraion manual nor the assembly manual depicts this piece of plywood.

Was the masonite package tray really mounted directly on the body brackets?

Laurent

No plywood, It mounted directly to the body brackets. I had one of these non fold down fastbacks some time ago.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2021, 10:36:16 PM »

Some else's "Better Idea". Surprised that didn't insert some foam or insulation to deadener the sound or any vibration. Never found, seen or have pictures of a  plywood layer on a 67
Jeff Speegle

Offline CandyAppleRed

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2023, 09:44:12 AM »
I'm about to start the conversion from a fold down rear seat to rear fixed seat, which is the way my car was delivered back in Dec 66. I gathered all the parts and my research regarding the masonite package tray definitely shows that there were two versions. The first version (seems to be early 67 production) had only two holes (original, right on the picture) and the second version (late 67, 68) with the 7 holes pattern (repop, left on the picture).

The rear body brackets in my car do not have any holes for the self taping screws 380660-S as depicted in the illustration or assembly manual.

Does anybody have an illustration from an earlier date?
My illustration Manual has been updated in April 67.

Laurent

Offline CandyAppleRed

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2023, 08:52:13 AM »
a few more observation regarding the differences in non folding fastback during the 1967 and 1968 years.

regarding the package tray, or "auxiliary rear floor panel cover", a transition happened in 1967 from a two holes design to a 7 holes design. The MPC of April 1967 lists only two required fasteners "380660-S2"  for this panel.

The trunk divider panel has also evolved during the 1967 year. Beside the upper molding with visible fastener (has already been discussed in an other thread), the bottom of the sheet metal has a different stamping. Early 67 panel have a flat bottom with 5 holes and later panels have a kind of reinforcement stamping with only 3 holes.

The early package tray has marks on the bottom side, as if it was sitting over the five fasteners of the divider panel.

Unfortunately, there are no pictures of known unrestored 67 fastbacks with the earlier style package tray and divider panel and it still questionable, how these "2 holes" package trays were mounted on the rear body.

Laurent

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2023, 11:27:10 PM »
The early package tray has marks on the bottom side, as if it was sitting over the five fasteners of the divider panel.

Was this detail taken from one example or do you have multiple original examples with the depressions or marks on the bottom? Also what plant was the example(s) built at and what were their projected or real build dates to go along with the description. If this is a single example from your December 66 built car then we have that information from your earlier (reply #24)

Will need to pull out some additional examples and one divider that is in the attic. Have one floor panel in pictures with multiple wholes along the back/rear edge and two in the forward corners during a quick look into one picture directory. Have some floor sections with only two visible retaining screws on later cars. Guess I need to post with their details to see where they fall into the pattern and help get this further than the small unreliable numbers we have so far. At least as possible. Shame so many were tossed when owners "ungraded" to fold downs
Jeff Speegle

Offline CandyAppleRed

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2023, 07:09:39 AM »
Jeff,

thank for your answer.
Regarding the marks on the package tray, I noticed that on the only original panel I own. These orignial masonite panels seem to be rare, as the trunk divider panels. It did not came fom my signature car, but was taken of a 67 San Jose fastback (build date unknow).
My research is mostly based on observation of cars listed in the internet and it does not have the scientific or methodic approach, that is usually the rule here.
The divider panel in the car with red interior is from a Metuchen 68 fastback (here again no build date).

On this picture, another example of the package tray with 2 holes from a january 8th San Jose car. Obviously no 100% original, with additional fastener and speakers. Note also, the latch cover plate without bump, that is, early style.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 09:00:10 AM by CandyAppleRed »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2023, 02:20:43 AM »
On this picture, another example of the package tray with 2 holes from a January 8th San Jose car. Obviously no 100% original, with additional fastener and speakers. Note also, the latch cover plate without bump, that is, early style.

Not being 100% original is not a reason to consider, with notation of the rest of the condition IMHO if the findings at some point match other unrestored cars

Since this picture only shows the center to passenger side end are you certain that there was not one on the drivers side or are your choosing to discount the center hole since it does not match other examples so far.  Have had some issues that have slowed down my posting of some additional pictures but have gone through 67 SJ so far and will post

I think we again dis a disservice to the topic allowing both 67 and 68 details in the same thread
Jeff Speegle