Author Topic: Brake master cylinder components.. Proper name/availability.  (Read 3584 times)

1967 eight barrel

Brake master cylinder components.. Proper name/availability.
« on: March 07, 2018, 02:41:46 AM »
I had my original master restored and went to install it. I noted as I tightened down the rear line the tube furl looked normal. ( A small gap that still had exposed threads after it was tightened. When I tightened the front it tightened up all the way to the machined surface. It doesn't seem to be leaking, but it is of concern to me.
Is the inverted portion inside the master a serviceable item? If so, who would had one? What is it called? 
I thank you for the help in advance.
                                                                              -Keith
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:46:21 AM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline 67gta289

Re: Brake master cylinder componets.. Proper name/availability.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 06:17:35 AM »
The first picture is not correct, but intended to be useful to determine what part numbers you are looking for. 

The 2169 is designated a "Piston - Brake Master Cylinder".

These were not serviced individually, they were supplied in the 2004 repair kits.

The second picture denotes what is included in the 2004 repair kit for the 68 mustang with PDB.

The third picture covers 65/66 in detail, but for 67 there is simply one line that calls out the C7ZZ-2004-A kit, with no detail, other than it is a 1" bore.

The previous information was from the 60-68 MPC.  The 67 one year only has the same level of information.

I see that in the current NPD manual there is a 2004-4 rebuild kit that covers many years.  In the price column is the text "CALL".
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

1967 eight barrel

Re: Brake master cylinder componets.. Proper name/availability.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 06:24:25 AM »
John,
It's the item lined closest to the 2004 identification in the repair kit. When you tighten up the line, the flair would seat against it.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Brake master cylinder components.. Proper name/availability.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:37:36 AM »
The flare seats are often supplied with rebuild kits. I believe they supply the smaller one only in some instances. I just looked inside the cylinder I built for my 67 and I see I have installed a new one in both so obviously, they are out there. I sourced my rebuild kit from my local NAPA store. I have no recollection of chasing down the flare seats for my master cylinder so I assume they arrived with my rebuild kit.
I did have to chase down the new seats inside my power steering control valve and power steering cylinder ram, but that is a different subject.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 08:02:33 AM »
The NPD kit is NLA.  I just got off the phone with them. I will call NAPA when they open.

-Keith

Offline preaction

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 10:35:23 AM »
 Keith, Some master cylinders have a check valve behind the flare seat made of rubber  this is a consumable also that should come in the kit.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-MK549-Professional-Master-Cylinder/dp/B000C71NB6

Picture shows 2 tube seats and 2 check valves.  The seats look like they are the same (small) size, and the PDB master should have only one check valve.
The photo may be inaccurate.   Has any one used this kit?
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 01:56:44 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-MK549-Professional-Master-Cylinder/dp/B000C71NB6

Picture shows 2 tube seats and 2 check valves.  The seats look like they are the same (small) size, and the PDB master should have only one check valve.
The photo may be inaccurate.   Has any one used this kit?
Looks to be what NAPA sells # UP549, no doubt NAPA re-boxes the Raybestes product. I looked up the 67 Mustang listing on my shop's Napa Prolink and came up with this image:
https://s7d9.scene7.com/s7viewers/html5/ZoomViewer.html?stageSize=500,400&asset=GenuinePartsCompany/359517

As I mentioned earlier, I did NOT recall having to outsource the flare seats so they should be correct. The instructions included with the kit explain that some cylinders will not have all parts seen used. The check valves are most likely for 4-wheel drum brake usage applications, other than Mustangs

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:03:46 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 02:01:58 PM »
Why I didn't think of Amazon is beyond me. They are not being produced at the moment, but I did find one at Rock Auto. I just ordered it...
How do you pull the seat from the master?

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 02:07:08 PM »
Why I didn't think of Amazon is beyond me. They are not being produced at the moment, but I did find one at Rock Auto. I just ordered it...
How do you pull the seat from the master?

NAPA shows one at their Buffalo (DC) location and 8 at their McHenry Ill. (DC) location...they can get them but UPS charges may apply ;)

They provide a screw to thread into the seat and axtract it like a dentist does an impacted wisdom tooth!
Richard Urch

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 02:07:58 PM »
Keith - In the picture there are 2 screws - use them to tap into hole in seat then grab and pull out.
Kurt.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 05:29:42 PM »
The NAPA here close claimed there are NONE to be had, as did O'Reilly.  There are few real parts stores anymore.  The rebuild on my booster also has me less than thrilled. I spoke to Booster Dewy and he claims he can make them function better in low vacuum environments. So I will overnight the booster to him while I refurbish the Bendix Master.

Speaking of trash, I purchased replacement rear wheel cylinders from O'Reilly. When I went to bleed them the bleeders were made with a metal so soft I rounded them off on both sides just breaking them loose with a line wrench. Chinese trash!

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 05:32:32 PM »
The NAPA here close claimed there are NONE to be had, as did O'Reilly.  There are few real parts stores anymore.  The rebuild on my booster also has me less than thrilled. I spoke to Booster Dewy and he claims he can make them function better in low vacuum environments. So I will overnight the booster to him while I refurbish the Bendix Master.

Speaking of trash, I purchased replacement rear wheel cylinders from O'Reilly. When I went to bleed them the bleeders were made with a metal so soft I rounded them off on both sides just breaking them loose with a line wrench. Chinese trash!
Thank you! I expanded the picture and saw the self-tapping screws. Makes perfect sense now.
                                                                                                                  -Keith

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 06:10:16 PM »
Keith : About a year or year and a half ago, I started to get things ready to rebuild my Master Cylinder for my Power Drum Brake 67. You didn't note if yours was Manual or Power Drum, but they are virtually the same ; both use Bendix Casting 2227061, only the internal parts are different. I had an NOS Ford Kit, C7ZZ-2004-A, (Manual Drum would be C7ZA-2004-A), but wasn't sure if the rubber might be hard, so to be on the safe side, I thought that I'd get a "new" Kit. I don't know how much you looked for these, but they are not as easy to come by as they were 20 years ago. I believe that is because that for just a little more money, one can buy a rebuilt Master Cylinder, and in some cases, a new one. This is great for those that just want to basically bolt something on, and "go". However, this does not help those of us that want to use the original casting and rebuild it.

Interestingly, I found mine also at Rock Auto.  I compared the parts furnished in the Ford Kit with those in the Raybestos Kit (see first 4 pictures). Both had the same 2 pistons, 2 check valves, 2 check valve springs, 2 tube seats, snap ring, O-ring for the piston stop bolt, and even 2 screws for use in removing the existing tube seats. The only thing that the Ford Kit had that the Raybestos Kit did not have, was a new piston stop bolt.

I have included several pages from the 1967 Preliminary Shop Manual, that contains several things not found in the "regular" Shop Manual, that you may find of use.

Bob
P.S. I have tried to Post this Reply 6 times, both with and without "Preview", and keep getting "This website cannot be displayed". Therefore, I am only going to Post the first 4 attachments here, and follow with another Reply with the remaining 5 attachments.
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 06:23:15 PM »
Additional 5 attachments from 1967 Preliminary Shop Manual (sorry for the quality, but it won't let me attach them in 600 dpi.).

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909