Author Topic: 1969 BOSS 429 transmission case markings  (Read 1807 times)

Offline kammertime

1969 BOSS 429 transmission case markings
« on: May 21, 2019, 01:20:50 PM »
I am trying to validate the paint markings on the main case.

The large yellow marking looks like a 2 or N or Z. Is there a better picture of this available ?

The paint daub under the speedo hole seems to have a greenish tint to it. Could it be yellow that has been stained by the trans fluid ?

What is a good match for the yellow paint ?

Thanks,
John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 BOSS 429 transmission case markings
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 05:37:17 PM »
The large yellow marking looks like a 2 or N or Z. Is there a better picture of this available ?

Since these were applied by hand and quickly they can very but their were usually only a small handful of worker assigned to the task so similarities can be found if you get enough samples. Don't know but it appears to be a "2"  and because other examples (different trans and applications) sometimes have a 3 in the same location.It appears to be applied in a continuous motion rather than back and forth in three motions since they were using a brush and choose to do it that way

The paint daub under the speedo hole seems to have a greenish tint to it. Could it be yellow that has been stained by the trans fluid ?

Have seen plenty of others marked with other colors but the light bright green was often found. Other years and applications can be different

What is a good match for the yellow paint ?

Because of the size of the mark I would not go the small model paint bottle route unless your getting a couple. There is a school buss yellow that Krylon makes that is pretty color will check to see fi I have one on the shelf to provide a name or number from but they may have changed all that since I lat purchased one. One of the challenges
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kammertime

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 08:23:00 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for the reply.
I have seen the 3 yellow letters on the picture you provided on many other pictures. I cannot find any evidence of them on my case.

Thanks,
John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 04:46:41 PM »
Not all of the markings survive all. these years. Some were likely marked with more paint than others adding to the longevity or lack there of. Possibility that one or two got missed but the ID marking was likely the most important one applied so inspectors should have caught and fixed that if missed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)