Author Topic: 5 bolt to 6 bolt changeover  (Read 3479 times)

Offline Dan Case

Re: 5 bolt to 6 bolt changeover
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2023, 11:37:15 AM »

Do we know if Ford was using both Cleveland and Windsor foundries in this time period? I could not find the information.

Based on what is published by Bob Mannel:

Implied that all 260/289/HP289 engines were produced in Ford's Cleveland Engine Plant #1 through mid-1966; with one sentence that indicates High Performance 289 engines were only made in Cleveland for any model year.

289 'standard' engines were made concurrently in Cleveland Oho and in Windsor Ontario mid-1966 and 1967.
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Offline Burgundy66

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2023, 11:53:15 PM »
It does not appear to have the 64 telltales, but I will try to look at it in more detail now that it?s on the engine stand.

Offline Burgundy66

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2023, 11:55:46 PM »
Also - The fellow with the D-code that was assembled the day before mine, messaged.  Said he looked and his is definitely a 6-bolt also.  Can?t see casting date though.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2023, 11:15:49 PM »
Also - The fellow with the D-code that was assembled the day before mine, messaged.  Said he looked and his is definitely a 6-bolt also.  Can?t see casting date though.

Of course you misspoke since we don't know when any of these cars were built. Must have meant they were scheduled a day apart. Could have been three weeks or in some rarer examples longer. when if comes to real build date.  but its something.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Burgundy66

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2023, 11:30:51 PM »
Actually, not at all. The guy with the D code....that engine was stamped July 23 as an assembled date.  Mine is stamped July 24th assemble date.  Talking engine assembly dates and not full vehicles.

Just so I am clear, I am also talking about the stamping on the block up front near the timing cover.  That is engine assembly date, correct?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 11:34:38 PM by Burgundy66 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2023, 06:24:40 PM »
Actually, not at all. The guy with the D code....that engine was stamped July 23 as an assembled date.  Mine is stamped July 24th assemble date.  Talking engine assembly dates and not full vehicles.

Just so I am clear, I am also talking about the stamping on the block up front near the timing cover.  That is engine assembly date, correct?

Thanks for making it clear that you were "talking" about engine dates not car assembly dates in your prior post. Yes that is the engine assembly date  still trying to research and determine exactly how much of the engine that indicated but that is another thread and for another time
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Burgundy66

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2023, 08:23:50 PM »
Interesting. Did the engine have a 1963-64 model year design oil pan or a 1965 model year design oil pan. Was it configured for a generator or alternator (different dip stick tubes and dip sticks) plus hole size in the RH cylinder head for a mounting bracket bolt?

I did get a chance to check and it has the 65 style oil pan, dipstick tube/stick, and configured for alternator.  And interestingly, it has the Eaton style P/S pump with a remote reservoir. Then A/C on top of the P/S pump.  Pulleys are all 1965-style, no castings.

Offline Burgundy66

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2023, 08:26:29 PM »
Thanks for making it clear that you were "talking" about engine dates not car assembly dates in your prior post. Yes that is the engine assembly date  still trying to research and determine exactly how much of the engine that indicated but that is another thread and for another time

Thanks.  👍

I?d love to hear what you have compiled on your engine assembly research.

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2023, 10:56:08 AM »
I did get a chance to check and it has the 65 style oil pan, dipstick tube/stick, and configured for alternator.  And interestingly, it has the Eaton style P/S pump with a remote reservoir. Then A/C on top of the P/S pump.  Pulleys are all 1965-style, no castings.

Thanks neat and interesting.
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.