Author Topic: Inner Fender, “splash shield” staples for rubber trim tree  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Craners

Inner Fender, “splash shield” staples for rubber trim tree
« on: September 12, 2020, 12:55:24 PM »
I’m currently restoring the inner fender splash shields...media blast and repaint.  Is there a source for the original staple that fastens  the rubber edge trim to the sheet metal?
I’m reusing they original rubber trim, but I hesitate to reuse the staples. 
Keeping the original staple profile is required so the original rubber can be reapplied in the original hole pattern.
Thank you. 
Fran

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Inner Fender, “splash shield” staples for rubber trim tree
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 01:52:34 PM »
I’m currently restoring the inner fender splash shields...media blast and repaint.  Is there a source for the original staple that fastens  the rubber edge trim to the sheet metal?
Keeping the original staple profile is required so the original rubber can be reapplied in the original hole pattern.
Thank you. 
Fran
There are reproduction ones sold. NPD is one source I believe. I have never compared them to see how close they were to original. I haven't had the occasion do do any recently(thank the stars) but I and many others just make their own. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 06:46:48 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 01:53:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
I made my own from 0.047in dia steel wire. I cut the pieces to length, then bent them using a home made fixture in an arbor press. Installing was an all day plus task using the existing holes on the shields and new rubber. Good luck.
Jim
I put down the wire diameter as 0.032inch. The diameter of the replacement staples I've ordered were 0.062inch. I think that was the size Ford used for replacements and the aftermarket "copied" what Ford did. It's wrong.
One more point, I measured the staples on a 66 San Jose car. Measure yours. Also check the "form factor" of the staple, round or a rectangle profile. The rectangular ones may have a diagonal slant to make a point for penetration.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 02:04:14 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 05:34:21 PM »
I make my own from .042" stainless steel safety wire. I don't care for the ones that come in the kits.

Thank you. 
Fran
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 05:45:17 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and support helpful in your restoration project(s)

Here are some past threads on related to the subject. Almost always a great place to state looking 

I like others have always made my own

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2498.msg75344#msg75344

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=13782.msg91245#msg91245

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19406.msg122693#msg122693

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)