Author Topic: 1968 Brake Pedal Bumper  (Read 4364 times)

Offline 1968Cally

Re: 1968 Brake Pedal Bumper
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 09:36:35 AM »
Okay guys, back to my issue.  So yesterday, I got the brake pedal push bushing, nylon washers and the retainer clip.

So, I have learned from you that there is no brake pedal bumper on a '68 with Midland booster and that the adjustable push rod I have, is not correct as the original was non-adjustable.  Really great info and I thank you all.

Last night, I searched for the correct push rod and came up empty.  So, I will call Booster Dewey today and others if he can not help me.  I also wonder it the boot I have that the push rod goes into is the correct one.  Those are available.

So here is the question.  Can I put a new boot on the booster from under the dash or do I have to pull the booster off the firewall?  My Master cylinder is right up against the shock tower so if I have to pull the booster off, I am not sure how I can accomplish this.

Thanks for your help.

Dave
Dave

1968 GT/CS

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 10:29:57 AM »
You should be able to do it from the inside.  The boot should snap into a groove in the black plastic tube that pokes through the firewall.

I am unsure about how the correct pushrod is retained into the booster but suspect it has a metal clip around the end of the pushrod that snaps into an internal groove.  Booster Dewey probably can help you there - I've always been afraid to remove them for fear of breaking something but since yours is already out perhaps it will be fairly easy to snap a new one in.
 Should be able to do this without booster removal - I would install boot first before the pushrod so you dont have to stretch it over the big end of the rod.
Kurt.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline 1968Cally

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2018, 11:46:40 AM »
Uh-oh guys.  Somewhere between the garage and my PC yesterday, I got my brands of boosters mixed up.  According to the West Coast Cougar video, mine is a 1969 Bendix.
So sorry for this misinformation.  But, according to the video, The '69 Bendix is okay to use with my '68 pedal.  Or, should I try and get a rebuilt midland?
Dave

1968 GT/CS

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2018, 12:48:45 PM »
Its always best to go with what was there originally.

As illustrated, even the smallest changes start to multiply into other problems.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 06:38:36 PM »
Uh-oh guys.  Somewhere between the garage and my PC yesterday, I got my brands of boosters mixed up.  According to the West Coast Cougar video, mine is a 1969 Bendix.
So sorry for this misinformation.  But, according to the video, The '69 Bendix is okay to use with my '68 pedal.  Or, should I try and get a rebuilt midland?
  Given that you are posting on this forum you most likely will not be surprise that the emphasis here is on originality. I suppose it has to do with what your expectations are.  If you want it to look somewhat original under the hood I would go with the proper Midland. To me there is a dramatic difference in appearance between the Midland and the Bendix. That is just me . I am sure that there are others that will not care ether way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1968Cally

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2018, 07:26:55 PM »
I agree that originality is important.  I showed my both my '66 and '68 GTCS in the MCA concours trialered class.  My current GTCS is very correct other than the engine and the Sanden compressor and now the booster.

What is a good source for a rebuilt Midland if you do not have a core?  Does not look as WCCC has any.  Looks like Booster Dewey only rebuilds ones you supply.  Guess I could search for a decent core.
Dave

1968 GT/CS

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2018, 08:11:20 PM »
I
What is a good source for a rebuilt Midland if you do not have a core?  Does not look as WCCC has any.  Looks like Booster Dewey only rebuilds ones you supply.  Guess I could search for a decent core.
I can help you with that. PM sent
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2023, 11:02:32 PM »
Reading thru this older thread here was the general conclusion that the brake pedal does not have a rubber bumper on the top tab here?  This is a 68 automatic application.  It did not have one when I took it apart but you would think it would..... 

20230228_202442 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

20230228_202447 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2023, 02:58:26 AM »
It helps when you read thru the entire thread.  I see now comments and drawing about the cruise control option.  Never seen this installed, but understand now the function of this tab on the brake pedal.  Also makes no sense for a brake pedal to have a rubber bumper.  Thats typically on a clutch pedal.  Still learning. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations