Author Topic: 64.5 carburetor, fuel questions  (Read 713 times)

Offline Corey Bowcutt

64.5 carburetor, fuel questions
« on: August 29, 2023, 11:17:54 AM »
I just picked up a 1964.5 convertible project.  It has the 260 engine.  I am starting to work on getting the engine to fire up and want to do a rebuild on the carburetor.  Is the carb pictured below correct for the car?  Any info on a good rebuild kit for this carb is appreciated.

Also, if the engine is original to the car and never been touched can it run off of today's fuels?  In the day it used leaded fuel.  Is it OK to run on unleaded?

Thank you,

Corey

Offline jwc66k

Re: 64.5 carburetor, fuel questions
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 11:54:03 AM »
I just picked up a 1964.5 convertible project.  It has the 260 engine.  I am starting to work on getting the engine to fire up and want to do a rebuild on the carburetor.  Is the carb pictured below correct for the car?  Any info on a good rebuild kit for this carb is appreciated.

Also, if the engine is original to the car and never been touched can it run off of today's fuels?  In the day it used leaded fuel.  Is it OK to run on unleaded?

Thank you,

Corey
There is a list of year, engine and carburetor applications in this forums library. You can verify "correct" there. As to fuel, you're stuck, just like the rest of us. You may find "stuck" applies to floats, jets, throttle plate and other item in your carb as this "new" fuel tends to do that.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 12:32:14 PM »
This looks like the correct Autolite 2100 carb for the car, with the part number you show, and there are places that rebuild them. I don't have any suggestions.  I use 91 octane pump gas in my '64 1/2 K code, and it seems to work fine. If you have ethanol free available near you, that would be better.  Good luck.  Here is a carb like yours for sale on eBay:  https://www.ebay.com/p/1081341569
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 01:31:22 PM »
you can rebuild that carb yourself.  https://www.carburetor-parts.com  will have everything you need. get a factory shop manual if you do not have one. there is also a supplement of the manual dedicated to 64 1/4 models. i have run the current fuel in my older cars with no problems. just keep it fresh.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 12:46:32 AM »
Yes it will run on today's fuels. If you have one of the blends when you by gas it will often attack the rubber parts in the system that were made before these blends were sold and this may lead to issues, leaks or in the worst case a fire in results to the leaks. New fuel lines, gaskets, and a new kit of the carb should address these issues
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KDunne

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 02:32:39 PM »
Corey.....Will be interesting to see what you uncover.  i believe the 260 would have been a black block, with blue air cleaner and valve covers.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 06:53:57 PM »
In the books I grabbed the C4OE-B was for a 260/289 2V with an automatic transmission
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Corey Bowcutt

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 08:19:14 PM »
Thank you Jeff, that is exactly what I have.