Author Topic: 4 Speed Upper Shifter Boot  (Read 974 times)

Offline ninedrvr

4 Speed Upper Shifter Boot
« on: September 27, 2023, 08:42:57 PM »
I'm in the process of converting my car from auto to manual transmission. My research on a Mustang with a console shows that the chrome bezel was not used but what little I can find about the Shelby console is that the chrome bezel is used on these cars. Is this correct? If so, what screws are used on the boot?

Thanks for any help.

Jim
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 4 Speed Upper Shifter Boot
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 10:54:05 PM »
I'm in the process of converting my car from auto to manual transmission. My research on a Mustang with a console shows that the chrome bezel was not used but what little I can find about the Shelby console is that the chrome bezel is used on these cars. Is this correct? If so, what screws are used on the boot?

Thanks for any help.

Jim
To answer your question about 68,69/70 Shelby console ,they used the chrome bezel . The factory screws were used to secure the boot. You should be able to find the part number in one of Jim's spread sheets or a NPD /AMK catalog . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 11:22:54 PM »
How the boot is secured has nothing to do with the bezel if they had one. Examples would be earlier years without consoles.

Between the boot and the floor there would be the lower boot and a rubber basket around the hole. All are compressed between the upper boot and the floor once secured.

Shifter gasket or at least what is left of an original

69 lower 4 speed shifter boot

The boot is attached with four bolts to the nuts welded in the support plate welded to the forward floor section as shown below . Couple of the bolts are missing/removed but you get the idea. The design of the boot and its "folds" (for lack of a better term) holds the bezel in place.

Was typing and getting a picture while Bob answered  :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 11:50:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 12:03:51 PM »
Jeff, your pictures are worth a thousand words. :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby