Author Topic: 67 AC radiator support grommet installation  (Read 965 times)

Offline 67gta289

67 AC radiator support grommet installation
« on: November 18, 2023, 08:04:38 PM »
The C7ZA-19C819-B Grommet is shown in the electrical assembly manual as being installed on the engine compartment side of the radiator support, with either ESB-<2014-A or ESB-M2078-A cement.  I've seen it installed in this fashion with what appears to be yellow weatherstrip adhesive.  In the unrestored section, post https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=18570.15 has a picture EC-13 that shows the grommet on the outside of the firewall.  Is this detail of the unrestored car simply incorrect, and is the assembly manual correct?  Should this question have been asked as a response on that thread?  TIA John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

Re: 67 AC radiator support grommet installation
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 10:08:19 PM »
I have seen it installed both ways originally. It seems to make more sense to install it on the outside.  I would not deduct for it installed either way.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 12:08:04 AM »
I have seen it installed both ways originally. It seems to make more sense to install it on the outside.  I would not deduct for it installed either way.
++1
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 07:16:05 AM »
Thanks for replies
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 04:25:51 PM »
+3 :)  AT least confirmed for San Jose built examples such as the ones below. Just happened to have collected these in a separate file so they were handy. Examples spread from 7R110xxx-7R1977xx so they reflect most of the production period. Have not see adhesive used to hold them in place not the remains of such except for one 1970 Dearborn and it was a yellow colored product applied to the forward face of the radiator support. Finding only one example out of maybe a thousand or more suggests IMHO at this point it may have been added post delivery 

« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 04:58:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023, 04:43:46 PM »
Did a quick look through my 67 Dearborn pictures and there were a few examples where the gasket was still in place. From this very small sample it is possible that Dearborn workers assigned to this task may have followed the recommended side of the radiator support more than San Jose did. As you can see in the picture below they were all positioned from the engine side

Jeff Speegle

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 06:31:46 AM »
Does anyone has the dimensions and material (spec) available?
Great thx

>>> Grommet.
PE, EVA....expanded, thickness, volumetric weight?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 01:07:08 PM by Ralf »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2023, 12:30:39 PM »
+3 :)  AT least confirmed for San Jose built examples such as the ones below. Just happened to have collected these in a separate file so they were handy. Examples spread from 7R110xxx-7R1977xx so they reflect most of the production period. Have not see adhesive used to hold them in place not the remains of such except for one 1970 Dearborn and it was a yellow colored product applied to the forward face of the radiator support. Finding only one example out of maybe a thousand or more suggests IMHO at this point it may have been added post delivery 

Not a support grommet observation but a A/C one. The bracket that is used to hold the two tubes running through the radiator support are typically zinc Phosphate including the fastener and not painted black.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2023, 03:18:21 PM »
Not a support grommet observation but a A/C one. The bracket that is used to hold the two tubes running through the radiator support are typically zinc Phosphate including the fastener and not painted black.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this point in a respectful way  :). Have found a fair number of them painted black as shown in the lower right picture, painted black while allot of them I've seen were not or simply rusty on 67 San Jose cars.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2023, 05:04:03 PM »
Does anyone has the dimensions and material (spec) available?
Great thx

>>> Grommet.
PE, EVA....expanded, thickness, volumetric weight?
I don't have that, but just in case you are unaware, a reproduction is available from NPD.  I don't know how close or not it is compared to an original.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2023, 05:06:01 PM »
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this point in a respectful way  :). Have found a fair number of them painted black as shown in the lower right picture, painted black while allot of them I've seen were not or simply rusty on 67 San Jose cars.

On the topic of black or blackout, what about the line set.  I think I've seen enough pictures where the parts exposed in front of the radiator support are painted black.  I'm wondering what the line of demarcation is heading towards the engine.  Are they painted all the way to where they transition to rubber or does the paint stop before that?
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2023, 06:45:34 PM »
Well the ones I have seen on 67 that were zinc phosphate that were in a surviver context may be as a result of late in production .The ones I have seen on 68-up versions were zinc phosphate which is why I said "typically" meant taken as a whole . At the very least I have a high confidence level that not ALL of 67 ones were painted black.   

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2023, 06:53:41 PM »
On the topic of black or blackout, what about the line set.  I think I've seen enough pictures where the parts exposed in front of the radiator support are painted black.  I'm wondering what the line of demarcation is heading towards the engine.  Are they painted all the way to where they transition to rubber or does the paint stop before that?
I don't believe they were consistently all painted black based on observations of a number of originals over the years. The ones that were painted black appeared to be sprayed black from the front side to black them out . I haven't seen signs of a paint brush used given the ones that I have observed had a feathered transition line instead of what looked like brush strokes . I would not be surprised however if they were paint brushed also . In fact the paint brush method would seem to be the logical choice . I just haven't seen those . 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2023, 07:09:02 PM »
I don't believe they were consistently all painted black based on observations of a number of originals over the years. The ones that were painted black appeared to be sprayed black from the front side to black them out . .................

Also likely that often this can be the result of a used car freshening we often see. If you find one with lines blacked out at the front of the radiator support check to see if things like the spring cover bolts are black also  ::) Just a place to start the investigation
Jeff Speegle

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2023, 05:02:52 AM »
I don't have that, but just in case you are unaware, a reproduction is available from NPD.  I don't know how close or not it is compared to an original.

Thx for the hint, John.
I'll check it.
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen