Author Topic: Identify Radiator 1967 San Jose  (Read 457 times)

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
Identify Radiator 1967 San Jose
« on: December 02, 2023, 07:18:03 AM »
Could you pls help me to identify this radiator?

As far I'm able to  judge on.

1967 A/T, integr. oil cooler,  San Jose W MO, FoMoCo

I'm not certain if this radiator is really a true one.
Strap radii, punches, tag left side....

Thanks for your comments and help.
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: Identify Radiator 1967 San Jose
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 12:21:17 PM »
In the attached pic I circled the area that is either a solder blob or a raised area of which I'm unfamiliar for this year. The rest of the side strap looks right, including the corners of the strap.

My 67 Shelby radiator has a long threaded rod across the mid-section. The side straps have a bulge and hole on each side strap to accommodate said rod. This radiator also has that bulge and hole but no rod. I'm unsure if all SBF radiators from WMO had this rod in 67.

The date is too early for your car, but you knew that.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 12:47:40 PM »
In the attached pic I circled the area that is either a solder blob or a raised area of which I'm unfamiliar for this year. The rest of the side strap looks right, including the corners of the strap.

My 67 Shelby radiator has a long threaded rod across the mid-section. The side straps have a bulge and hole on each side strap to accommodate said rod. This radiator also has that bulge and hole but no rod. I'm unsure if all SBF radiators from WMO had this rod in 67.

The date is too early for your car, but you knew that.
Yes inside your circled area looks like a raised blob of solder which was poorly applied when the side strap was re attached during a recore etc. The missing ID tag that is put there also indicates the previous work. A poorly soldered on tag tag that simply came detached would have a corresponding flattened soldered area underneath which is missing in the picture indicating it was deliberately left off during rework .  The support rod is threaded on the ends and secured with pal nuts "shell nuts". The rod is typical on factory smallblock and big block radiators. Of course the big block rod is longer because of its wider core. I have used the big block rod as a donor to cut done and re thread one end  for a missing smallblock rod.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 12:50:14 PM »
Yes inside your circled area looks like a raised blob of solder which was poorly applied when the side strap was re attached during a recore etc. The missing ID tag that is put there also indicates the previous work. A poorly soldered on tag tag that simply came detached would have a corresponding flattened soldered area underneath which is missing in the picture indicating it was deliberately left off during rework .  The support rod is threaded on the ends and secured with pal nuts "shell nuts". The rod is typical on factory smallblock and big block radiators. Of course the big block rod is longer because of its wider core. I have used the big block rod as a donor to cut done and re thread one end  for a missing smallblock rod.
If the core is still usable these mentioned issues can easily be corrected on this or another more date code correct donor radiator.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 01:50:30 PM »
Many thanks for your hints so far.

I believe it looks like a "bended/stamped hood" done by purpose somehow in the strap itself, not comming from soldering.

See pic left side.

The radiator indeed has been re-cored some time ago as I could figure out.

Missing rod seems to be an issue and can't be fixed that easy I believe not having a source for it.
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 03:59:45 PM »
The tag next to the filler is from a previous rebuilder and not stock.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 05:42:49 PM »
Many thanks for your hints so far.

I believe it looks like a "bended/stamped hood" done by purpose somehow in the strap itself, not comming from soldering.

See pic left side.

The radiator indeed has been re-cored some time ago as I could figure out.

Missing rod seems to be an issue and can't be fixed that easy I believe not having a source for it.
On the driver side (which is Left side )of the radiator where the factory ID tag was typically placed is a blob of solder on top of the bump. The passenger side (right side ) that you show in your picture is different without excess solder. Right and left as you sit in the car is how the factory distinguishes it. Regardless the radiator has been taken apart and not put back together ike the factory . Nothing that can't be correct relatively easily. I would be surprised if there was not a metal supply facility of some type in a larger metropolitan area given rod stock of various diameters is a basic metal commodity .