Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Evaporust?

(1/4) > >>

68 GT:
I had our 67 Mustang coupe sandblasted early during the restoration process. I had left the door strikers on when it was sandblasted. Now, our body man is getting close to being ready to order the Brittany Blue paint, and he asked if I had new strikers. I don?t. Now the installed strikers have primer on them. I search NPD and found 22008-1A but the part that the door latches on is round. And I?m questioning the color of the material. CJ has DLSP9, it appears to be more of the correct material color and the part the door latches on is oval, like the original ones on the car. But they are stamped 8-66. Seems like I should reuse the original ones. Will soaking them in Evaporust remove the primer and reveal the original material color? If so, seems like getting Evaporust would be the way to go.

Thanks for your input and advice.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 68 GT on February 26, 2024, 10:37:43 PM ---I had our 67 Mustang coupe sandblasted early during the restoration process. I had left the door strikers on when it was sandblasted. Now, our body man is getting close to being ready to order the Brittany Blue paint, and he asked if I had new strikers. I don?t. Now the installed strikers have primer on them. I search NPD and found 22008-1A but the part that the door latches on is round. And I?m questioning the color of the material. CJ has DLSP9, it appears to be more of the correct material color and the part the door latches on is oval, like the original ones on the car. But they are stamped 8-66. Seems like I should reuse the original ones. Will soaking them in Evaporust remove the primer and reveal the original material color? If so, seems like getting Evaporust would be the way to go.

Thanks for your input and advice.

--- End quote ---
  You will need to use paint stripper to get the primer off .Evaporust is for rust removal.

68 GT:
Thanks, any particular paint stripper you recommend for my door strikers?

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 68 GT on February 26, 2024, 11:25:18 PM ---Thanks, any particular paint stripper you recommend for my door strikers?

--- End quote ---
I use aircraft stripper because it is strong. You can get it at home depot.

68 GT:
Thanks, and it won?t harm the strikers original finish?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version