Author Topic: Stamp font search  (Read 2848 times)

Offline c9zx

Stamp font search
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »
I want to have some stamps made for my 72 ( OK, on pass. valve cover, wiper motor, headlight buckets). I've spent at lot of time searching for the correct font to give to the stamp maker. It seems it could be one of several; Trade Gothic, Table Gothic, EF TV Nord. Most likely it something different from what I've found using Identifont. If anyone knows what the correct font is please share that information with me. Thank You, Chuck
Thanks, Chuck

1969 G code Cougar Eliminator
1972 Q code Mach 1, auto, air, 2F05Q183426, 03/16/72
CSX 7031

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Stamp font search
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 06:00:21 PM »
I want to have some stamps made for my 72 ( OK, on pass. valve cover, wiper motor, headlight buckets). I've spent at lot of time searching for the correct font to give to the stamp maker. It seems it could be one of several; Trade Gothic, Table Gothic, EF TV Nord. Most likely it something different from what I've found using Identifont. If anyone knows what the correct font is please share that information with me. Thank You, Chuck
I don't know if this applies to you but in some cases the fonts have been found to be unique in that Ford had artwork made up special for a particular situation. Just one more alternative to pick from besides the different font choices you offered. I mention this mainly because if you have a good example and the size of the example (which you will need anyway) rather then trying to pen down the font you should  be able to have a stamp made up from artwork produced from your example. I typically get a example and have a stamp made up from that. Knowing the font style is nice but will not help me because I am only making up stamps from known examples and not making something up new where a different letter would come into play.  Knowing the correct font (if not unique like I mentioned before ) would be nice but getting the stamp made is the most important thing.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline c9zx

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 06:28:45 PM »
Thanks Bob. I considered unique "Ford" font could be a possibility. I was just hoping it wasn't. I suppose I need to find another local vendor who will work from art work and dimensions. Thanks, Again, Chuck
Thanks, Chuck

CSX 7031

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 01:04:39 AM »
I want to have some stamps made for my 72 ( OK, on pass. valve cover, wiper motor, headlight buckets). I've spent at lot of time searching for the correct font to give to the stamp maker. It seems it could be one of several; Trade Gothic, Table Gothic, EF TV Nord. Most likely it something different from what I've found using Identified. If anyone knows what the correct font is please share that information with me. Thank You, Chuck

Different fonts for different application. Also consider that many fonts are no longer available (not popular so they fall out of usage and availability) I redraw all of my letters using graphic software. Not so much as Ford specific fonts (IMHO) but rather just old ones no longer in use. Consider that allot of the pieces you mentioned were not stamped by Ford but my the supplier or plant making the piece

You'll likely be looking for the paint inspector stamps also (looks like there are two different ones used on each car following the pattern we most often see on San Jose cars - though different locations)

Also remember to only reproduce the fonts from the same plant and time (in the case of the OK stamp even the engine plant - since there are at least 5 different OK stamps that I'm aware of ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:09:14 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

priceless

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 11:17:35 AM »
Several years ago,I had Bob Perkins to actually stamp onto a piece of paper the stamp impressions that I needed and took it to a recognized graphics/stamp company here locally and they copied the stamps exactly like I needed them.

You might can get in touch with Bob P. and see if he has the stamp impressions you need for your particular application.  He's on here under PerkinsRestorations....Hope this helps.

Offline c9zx

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 03:07:04 PM »
Just an update in case anyone else pursues this. The font for the wiper motor and headlight buckets is "Trade Gothic Pro". I had to but the font for the local stamp company.  Chuck
Thanks, Chuck

CSX 7031