Author Topic: Leaf Spring Identification  (Read 2073 times)

Offline ddonzella

Leaf Spring Identification
« on: August 09, 2015, 09:18:18 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone translate the following number on my 70 Shelby?  89MS5560A

Thank You!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Leaf Spring Identification
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 10:42:21 PM »
Believe it was the sub contractors attempt at a Ford like engineering number

S9MS - 69 Shelby prefix
5560 - base number for a leaf spring assembly
A - version
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 09:31:12 AM »
Thank You! Chalk up one original rear leaf spring!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:15:20 AM »
69/70 Shelby leaf springs are unique . The technique that many use to take the original bottom plate and transplant it to another set of springs will not work on a 69/70 Shelby like it does on every other Mustang. The only common section of leaf spring on the 69/70 Shelby is the eyelet section .The rest are Shelby unique in length.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 09:20:42 AM »
Thanks Bob. Listen to this, in inspecting the passenger side rear spring I notice the short spring which would have the production number is missing the numbers and is 1 1/2 inches longer than the drivers side. Additionally the "rounded" end on one edge is cut wrong. Just one surprise after another!! Must have been a fabricated replacement though poorly done!

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 01:58:46 PM »
Of additional note: when I took the longer, cut wrong short spring missing the ID numbers off I flipped it over and found a CZ---- numbers! Unbelievable. Must be a normal mustang piece replacing the AO Smith piece.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 02:05:14 PM »
Thanks Bob. Listen to this, in inspecting the passenger side rear spring I notice the short spring which would have the production number is missing the numbers and is 1 1/2 inches longer than the drivers side. Additionally the "rounded" end on one edge is cut wrong. Just one surprise after another!! Must have been a fabricated replacement though poorly done!
Of additional note: when I took the longer, cut wrong short spring missing the ID numbers off I flipped it over and found a CZ---- numbers! Unbelievable. Must be a normal mustang piece replacing the AO Smith piece.
  Just another example of past owner modifications .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby