Author Topic: Starter Field Coils  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
Starter Field Coils
« on: July 19, 2023, 11:27:41 PM »
Does anyone know a source for new field coils for an original?65 289 starter?  I bought a core ?65 starter with the ink stamp still visible, so I doubt it has ever been rebuilt. After disassembly I carried to the local starter/alternator shop to be checked out and rebuilt. The field coils tested bad but they no longer have a source for replacements for the early 12 volt versions that have the positive stud protruding through the body. Does anyone know of a source for new ones? 

Thanks.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Starter Field Coils
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 11:57:07 PM »
Does anyone know a source for new field coils for an original?65 289 starter?  I bought a core ?65 starter with the ink stamp still visible, so I doubt it has ever been rebuilt. After disassembly I carried to the local starter/alternator shop to be checked out and rebuilt. The field coils tested bad but they no longer have a source for replacements for the early 12 volt versions that have the positive stud protruding through the body. Does anyone know of a source for new ones? 

Thanks.
Not a new one but you can source a used one from any donor 6cyl,289  or 390 428 427 starter. I have had to do this on several starters that I have had rebuilt recently.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 01:03:55 AM »
This was 12 months ago but I got a 'brand new' Motorcraft field coil of ebay. I don't like using the term NOS as its much abused and it takes some work to match Motorcraft part numbers to Autolite applications but it all matches up and works. 
Brad

Offline preaction

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 09:30:12 AM »
They are out there as I had a set 2 years ago used for a 390/428 starter.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 09:53:10 AM »
Thanks. I need to do some research to learn the part number and cross references.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 12:40:05 PM »
A NOS field coil will not work any better then a up to specs used one which the vast majority of donors you will come across fall into that category. Of course if it makes you feel better to go through the trouble to search for and then pay the price for a new one it is your prerogative . It will not make your car more authentic or historically correct however. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 12:55:58 PM »
I agree, just need to find one.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline preaction

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023, 02:54:09 PM »
Bob, I mentioned it because the part I found was not Ford NOS but a currently available replacement its a chore to replace them though. Unfortunately the 50 year veteran who did this rebuild has since passed away and I didn't believe at the time recording the part source was important.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2023, 03:38:18 PM »
Bob, I mentioned it because the part I found was not Ford NOS but a currently available replacement its a chore to replace them though. Unfortunately the 50 year veteran who did this rebuild has since passed away and I didn't believe at the time recording the part source was important.
I don't rebuild them myself but have a second generation rebuilder do it for me. I am lucky because I think he will continue for the foreseeable future if doesn't get too frustrated in that he can't find help.His prices have doubled in the last couple years too.

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2023, 12:59:11 AM »
Bob, I agree with you and I didn't specifically go out to buy a field coil for desire of originality but it was actually the cheapest option. The field coil was very cheap (1/3 price of a new starter) and I didn't have to acquire numerous old cores in the hope of finding something that works. I think because no body repairs starters, replacement parts are cheap, which is an oddity in restoring Mustangs.

I'm no expert but the reason why most field coils fail is that the insulation breaks down over time and this is just a resin that can be re-applied. I might try it one day out of interest.