Author Topic: Rubber coated clips ??  (Read 218 times)

Offline Wills70

Rubber coated clips ??
« on: March 23, 2024, 06:46:08 PM »
I would like to restore some clips and replicate the plastic coating .
I have tried plasti coat - but not quite the same .
Looking for a better alternative??
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 06:50:01 PM by Wills70 »

Offline jwc66k

Re: Rubber coated clips ??
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 07:15:39 PM »
I have tried plasti coat - but not quite the same .
I use black "Plasti Dip" on clips and such for years. Note - "DIP". It's available  at Home Depot. It usually takes two or three "dips" to cover a clip. (I use yellow on tools.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 08:50:24 PM »
+1 . Takes 2 or more coats.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 03:14:37 PM »
Here's a picture of some of the clips I made to dip small parts in the Plasti Dip and then air dry them. Use a stiff wire on the clip to force the part into the dip. The trick is to dip the part in the very thick solution to the level you want and slooooowly pull it out, then repeat at least once. You may have to "tilt" the part to allow excessive "dip" to drip off from an inside "loop" in the part. Have a nail handy to "tilt". When done, leave the part on the clip and hang it for at least 4 hours to dry. Practice on a large washer.
Note: The clip can also be used for "home-grown".
(The USS Brazos, AO-4, black band goes on US Navy Flat Hats pre WWII as a ship/station identifier. I used the black of the band as a focus point for the camera on the white background. My father was on the USS Brazos in 1934 before he went to flight school at NAS Pensacola. He retired in 1954 as a ADC/AP - Aviation Machinist Mate Chief/Aviation Pilot).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Wills70

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 04:13:30 PM »

(The USS Brazos, AO-4, black band goes on US Navy Flat Hats pre WWII as a ship/station identifier. I used the black of the band as a focus point for the camera on the white background. My father was on the USS Brazos in 1934 before he went to flight school at NAS Pensacola. He retired in 1954 as a ADC/AP - Aviation Machinist Mate Chief/Aviation Pilot).
Jim
[/quote]
Very cool history Jim !!!
So much more than rubber on a clip
Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 06:24:02 PM »
IN the far past I used a rubber solution or kit available in different hardenest (or what ever the official term is for it) Use the same stuff for making small rubber bumpers and casting rubber parts like brake pedal pads. Haven't look for it in years but in the day purchased the kits from TAP plastics - believe they are long past closed but there should be similar kits (two part) available out there somewhere
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 08:34:41 PM »
IN the far past I used a rubber solution or kit available in different hardenest (or what ever the official term is for it) Use the same stuff for making small rubber bumpers and casting rubber parts like brake pedal pads. Haven't look for it in years but in the day purchased the kits from TAP plastics - believe they are long past closed but there should be similar kits (two part) available out there somewhere

Jeff, FYI--TAP Plastics is still in business. They are STILL the go to plastics place for your plastic needs. They still have numerous locations.

Frank